free website stats program very hard shifting issues | Harley Davidson Forums

very hard shifting issues

bassman61

hello all----

I ride a 1986 Heritage Softail, Evo engine (1340cc)

I'll try to summarize:

Recently had issues with clutch lever being more hard to squeeze.....did some adjustments with lever and inside primary, seemed to help a little, not much.....not long afterwards, (maybe a few weeks or so), started to experience clutch slipping....yep, the plates were pretty much toast......put a whole new brand new set in, grabs really nice now, no slipping.....one problem I am still dealing with is really hard shifting.....upshifting should be smooth and like butter, right? Nope. I have to really "kick" up the gearshift to go to the next gear, and so on. Also, neutral is next to impossible to find when the engine is running. When the bike is off, it's not a problem. A lot of times when downshifting, it is not smooth, either, it is kind of rough and "clunky." I can double check the fluid levels, but as far as I know, they are OK. I use Amsoil in all three holes, have been for three years now. Not until recently (maybe a couple of months or so) have these issues arisen.....ordinarily, it's a great bike, runs like a champ.

Any input would be sincerely appreciated.

Bassman:bigsmiley12:

I would re check clutch adjustment prmary chain adjustment primary oil level and perhaps replace the clutch cable also check and lube as necessary any joints on the gear change linkage

Brian
WAP.gif

There is a diaphragm spring in that clutch. If memory serves correctly, It is supposed to be flat when the clutch lever is released. Seems like the manual allows for +-.005" of deflection. If that adjustment is not correct it can make shifting difficult.

Did you inspect and or change the clutch hub bearing also. What about your throw out bearing on the right side? If they are both original you may want to change due to age, 26 yrs.old
tourbox

folks----

just want to thank everyone for their feedback thus far.....it definitely gives me more to go on, so I can start troubleshooting......

in sincere appreciation,

bassman

Sounds like clutch adjustment to me, and if major adjustments were made with the cable adjuster (the one that runs along the front down tubes) then the throw out bearing is most likely wiped out. That bearing is only about the size of a dime and wont stand a whole lot of mal-adjustment before it just aint no more good. many years ago I chased a similar issue with a softail EVo for an entire summer untill I finally learned the proper adjustment sequence. There is a VERY specific way the clutch needs to be adjusted if you dont want to continue to have issues. Not only is it aggrevating it can get quite costly as well. Take your time and doublecheck your work, and dont give up untill it is smooth as glass.

thanks again for all the feedback....I'm definitely gonna investigate further....hopefully, it is an easy fix, we'll see..........

I will say again, pay attention to the diaphragm spring. If not set up correctly the lever will be hard to squeeze and it will be hard to shift gears.

I would re check clutch adjustment prmary chain adjustment primary oil level and perhaps replace the clutch cable also check and lube as necessary any joints on the gear change linkage

Brian
WAP.gif

If this is the original cable, I would start there

Back