free website stats program Verizon Navigator or other cell based GPS | Harley Davidson Forums

Verizon Navigator or other cell based GPS

jbphoto

Do any of you have Verizon Navigator or other cell phone based GPS? If so, what's your impression? I have to replace my phone soon and was thinking this might be worth giving a try. I know the screen is too small to really be useful and I wouldn't be looking at it while riding. I'd have the phone in my jacket or vest pocket and use an ear bud so I could hear the turn by turn directions. A Garmin Zumo 550 it's not, I realize that, but would it be worthwhile?

Any thoughts on this?

Jerry

Last edited:
I have AT&T Nav on my crackberry curve and use it about the same way, choosing map over moving directions. I can also call on actual google maps with its browser function.

jb.. just got the verizon nav and have not had a chance yet to use it... give me a couple days and i will play with it going back and forth to work and stuff and let you know

Yes I use Navigator on a Choclate and it works good, remember that like any other mapping software it will give it"s idea of the best route, unlike GPS units that you can possibly reroute (like Google maps) but if you want to find that special place in the are, it provides graphic ans well as audio directions.

Hi, I use Nokia E90 with internal GPS. Mosty to record my trips, also to navigating some times. I bought (ebay 60 USD) extrenal Nokia LD-3W GPS module for my other Nokia E50 phone. Haven't got it yet, so cannot say anything about it yet.

Some trips that I have recorded with my phone are available in the Nokia Sportstracker web site. You don't have to register or login to check my trips. Go to Nokia Sports Tracker Beta or copy paste direct links to addressbar

Harley:
Nokia Sports Tracker Beta

other activities

I think that route recording is very cool feature.

I have an iPod G3, and the GPS is okay, not great. it will get you out of a jam but it is not as good as a stand alone unit.

I have a NAVMAN it bluetooths to my Motorola Q I can use either Google Maps or Live Search. I prefer to ride then turn it on, let it tell me where I am at then ride on from there. It also has turn by turn directions thru google or live search. It is extremely accurate.

Last edited:
If you want to use it on long trips a phone GPS is not the way to go. I jsut used it on a 250 mile trip to try it out. If I was not in the EV signal vs the 1X signal I could not even bring up the GPS. I also have the HD Quest and it beats it hands down. Now the bonus of the phone GPS is it should be the most curren tinfo if you want to lookup a point of intrest or resturaunt, but for getting to Point A to Point B the Quest is the Best. Infact I will get the new Zumo from HD soon and will get the handle bar mount to go with it since they dont make a fairing mount for this one. Either way I will not go without a GPS, drive till your lost and then hit HOME. Love mine.

LPFRAY... You've confirmed what I suspected regarding the signal. The sales folk at Verizon were very vague about the type of signal required or how long it might operate without a signal (they said it could but couldn't give me any specifics). Since I posted the original question I've done more research and have decided that there is no way a cell phone GPS will work for me. West Virginia isn't known for quality cell phone signal and much of the state has little or no coverage. I am familiar with Garmin and have had a Street Pilot II for over 10 years. Unfortunately, the map data base needs to be upgraded and it won't easily or inexpensively mount on my Street Bob. So, I'll save the pennies and before my cross country trip next summer I'll get me a Zumo 550.

Thanks to all who've replied and contributed to my decision. I'm also one of those who goes out and gets totally lost (did this in my Jeep a lot!) and then presses "home" or in my case, load the home waypoint.

I think the HD Zumo is cheaper than the 550, also let me say too with the Phone GPS. Once it was up and running it worked great. If I quite using it and tried to start it back up again it would not unless it was in the EV network area, but in larger cities it worked like advertised.

Back