free website stats program Variable Pressure Clutches | Harley Davidson Forums

Variable Pressure Clutches

67wizard

I have a clutch problem since I had the upgrade to a 103 with cams installed. I have adjusted the clutch and the shop has done the same but it slips. I can run down the highway about 65 or 70 and hit the gas and it silps. Have been thinking about installing a (AIM)Variable Pressure Clutch. Ant thoughts yea or nay. Most people I have talked with say its the only way to go.

DHDon, thats the setup I have been looking at. I thought about going with this system Stage 2.(Parts#VP017-340) Just in case I upgrade again.
What ya think?
Thanks for the reply

I don't have experience with either system. I have read several articles on the AIM system and it seems to do everything the manuf. claims. I would ask what is the problem with your OEM unit. I know that it has been adjusted a couple of times and still slips when you hit the throttle. Have you inspected the friction and steel plates? Are the friction plates worn to a point that they need replacement? Are the steel plates warped? I understand that you have a 103 with cams but the OEM unit should have no problems with the added torque. There are several clutch systems out there that will hold some wild torque #'s. I would first want to know why the Harley clutch is slipping before I throw $$ at the problem.

I don't have experience with either system. I have read several articles on the AIM system and it seems to do everything the manuf. claims. I would ask what is the problem with your OEM unit. I know that it has been adjusted a couple of times and still slips when you hit the throttle. Have you inspected the friction and steel plates? Are the friction plates worn to a point that they need replacement? Are the steel plates warped? I understand that you have a 103 with cams but the OEM unit should have no problems with the added torque. There are several clutch systems out there that will hold some wild torque #'s. I would first want to know why the Harley clutch is slipping before I throw $$ at the problem.

When they installed the 103, they also installed the SE spring in the clutch, about a month after that I noticed it would slip under hard throttle. With just normal to mild hard throttle its is fine. The hotter the weather the more it would slip. I have been useing Formula+ oil. So I thought when the weather ges colder I would put in the VCP. Should only that me less than a hour at my speed. LOL

Check out the clutch wiz easy install and if you already have the heavy spring it would work fine. It is also cheaper I have tried both and my vote is for the wiz. tGLIDE Stuff.com

That is just an added feature with the clutch wiz. as long as you have a heavy spring you should be all right I know some people with built 120 running them. Give Dennis a call and talk to him. Also MOCO has their own version of the aim clutch out. I still like the wiz.

I have a clutch problem since I had the upgrade to a 103 with cams installed. I have adjusted the clutch and the shop has done the same but it slips. I can run down the highway about 65 or 70 and hit the gas and it silps. Have been thinking about installing a (AIM)Variable Pressure Clutch. Ant thoughts yea or nay. Most people I have talked with say its the only way to go.
I have a cheaper version..varible pressure clutch..works great

If the OP's bike is the trike in his avatar, I would not be surprised that the OEM clutch is slipping behind Stage I 103" motor with a cam upgrade due to the weight of the bike.

I have run VPC clutches on my bikes, all of which run built motors developing 120 TQ. The only issue with the VPC clutch is that power shifting can be a challenge because the clutch is in lock up at that point. This is not an issue for most and probably not an issue for a trike rider but worth mentioning. Other than that, the VPC clutch is a good piece of hardware.;)

Back