free website stats program valves noise | Harley Davidson Forums

valves noise

shai

Hi everybody.

I just bought 833 2009

While riding the bike I ear quite loud noise from the front of the engine, like "knocks" probably the valves noise, is it normal? :(

For such a new ride, sounds like you picked up some bad gas and that rattling could be "pinging". Could also mean an exhaust leak are the two most likely things. Do you have a dealer nearby to do the WARRANTY inspection, hopefully at no charge to be sure?

late model sportsters make ALOT of valve train noise, so to me it sounds pretty normal, swing past your dealer and ask em to take a listen if your real worried

Hi everybody.

I just bought 833 2009

Pre-owned,, how many miles,,pure stock,, stage 1 w/ piggy,,SEST.
how long have you been riding it and is it on it's 1st tank of fuel. Some info would help determine what type of knock you have.

Just noticed where you are from. I have never been to China. Do you have octane rating choices and if so what are they. I am sure your don't have E10 which is Good... Tell me about the fuels you guys use.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is perfectly normal. At least Harley thinks so. I have an 09 883 as well and I bought mine brand new. A few weeks after owning it and getting used to riding I had it back to the dealer about the engine noise. I hear my engine over my pipes. They looked it all over and said it was normal for it.

Then I went to another dealer (whom I trust) and the techie told me it was normal... Harley says it was normal. The techie believes that HD built the engine with more space in between valves or something like that and it causes more noise. Instead of Harley recalling all the engines back to fix them, they said it would not do harm to the engine and will change it on the next make.

So yes, your engine noise is normal. Even worse when it is hot and going up a hill.

Knocking from the front of the engine is normal. Wow. I would not know since I am a 96/1584. What causes a 1200 to knock so loud?

Dont take they all do that for an answer, you should not have a knocking noise, go to the dealer, tho I have seen several Sportsters with broken piston skirts

I hope the OP gets back with us on this thread. I am very curious what octane fuels are available in China. One fuel for all or 3 octane choices like we have here. I have no idea and would really like to know.

I went to more then one dealer on this. The first dealer I didn't trust but the second I do, very much so. It isn't the dealer, it is what Harley has done to the engine. They didn't want to recall them all back so they said we'd just have a noisy engine. I don't like it anymore then anyone else.

Back