free website stats program Valve spring compessor | Harley Davidson Forums

Valve spring compessor

Turtle52

I need a little help if someone would be so nice. I'm trying to remove the valve springs on a '05 Vtwin while heads are still on the engine. I know there is a tool made by Nub Tools. My problem is I hope I'm going to do this just one time and don't want to spend the $300 bucks it will cost. I have the hose to connect to the cylinder to hold the valves up (did it to a small block Chevy) just don't have the room to be able to remove the spring and retainers. Or if someone has the layout of the plate of the aforementioned tool, or an idea that would also work, it would be greatly appreciated. Maybe a spring compressor that would work. I've read that the one for small engines will not work. There was one that I saw that worked like a big pair of tweezers with a long screw in the middle, I don't know if it is the same one as the small engine type or not. Thanks in advance, Tony

Honestly, I would pull the head; it's just not that difficult or time consuming.

However, the layout to a tool made by Goodson is shown; if you have the right stuff, you can fab one up. I don't think the Goodson tool is a $300 tool but it's not cheap.

The shade tree approach is also shown; I picked it up from a guy on another forum a few years back but have never had to use it. Good luck!

I don't think the Goodson tool is a $300 tool but it's not cheap.
I looked on the Goodson site and they were $279.99+s/h, if you know of a cheaper place please let me know. I'm not a cheapie, just think that's a little high for what one gets.
I really appreciate the pics and info, they will be really useful in the task I'm about to do. I just really need to check one valve seal to see if the right seals were put in. If not, I may pull the heads too. I have a (small?) oil consumption issue of 1qt a tank at interstate speed (75- 85mph). My bike was in another state and I was heading to Daytona in 2 weeks (at that time) a friend of mine told me he would fix it for me. I think he may have just drilled holes in the spring seat to relive the oil. Anyway just want to take a peek for now. Thanks for the reply and very useable info,
Tony

Back