free website stats program valve noise 2010 street glide | Harley Davidson Forums

valve noise 2010 street glide

GLINDS1

I hear some valve noise in my new 2010 street glide. It has close to 800 miles and I'm wondering if this is normal or should I be concerned.

Your are probably hearing what most would consider normal as they will be somewhat noisey, but then again I cannot hear what you are hearing.

To ease your mind and with only 800 miles on her let the dealer check it out just to be safe. If there is a problem warranty should cover it.

I hear some valve noise in my new 2010 street glide. It has close to 800 miles and I'm wondering if this is normal or should I be concerned.

Can you describe it better? Just how LOUD is the noise a tapping Clunking OR different..??

Have you owned a TC motor before?

Does it get louder as it warms up or Less? Do you have a oil gauge installed and if so where does it run at idle then at cruise speed? 10 lbs min. 36 lbs+ max. Hot

So you see there is More than just hearing a noise..

a Loose primary chain also does make a similar noise.. Lets go with the valve noise for now.. Describe a little more please.

These New bikes run HOT and Lean so if your hearing it at hot idle and not running down the road (air cooled) it can make noise. NEW has a lot to do with it.

signed....BUBBIE

These air cooled beasts with stock exhaust windshields and bags tend to sound a bit noisey on the top end until they are broke in, if you are overly worried have your dealer check it out, have them check the primary chain as well:s

+1 with dbmj... Your bike is too new to have valve train noise, not that that isn't a possibility but odds are it's your primary chain...

T Bones, I had a friend have me look at a Sportie a while ago he thought it was a primary chain slap, turned out the piston skirts were broken, Fixed it up with new pistons, metal base and head gaskets ran like a scalded dog:s

It's more of a rattle and it's constant it 's not loud it stays the same at idle or at road speed. Oil pressure stays at 32 psi it may be nothing this is my first new 96 motor. Thanks for all the help

That puts things in a new light. Time to give the bike a good once over and check tightness of everything. With how much these HD's vibrate things will have a tendency to loosen up causing a rattle and you should being doing routine checks.

That puts things in a new light. Time to give the bike a good once over and check tightness of everything. With how much these HD's vibrate things will have a tendency to loosen up causing a rattle and you should being doing routine checks.

Good point TripleJ,,,
The exhaust shields can and do make that very noise when they come loose.. Check the tightness of all the (hose clamp) pipe clamps that hold on the Nice chrome covers over the pipes...

It is NOT uncommon to have them come loose and make exactly the noise you described to me in your PM..

Smitty901 would be a good one to ask if HIS new bike has a noise similar to yours,, the Batwing can transfer noise..

signed....BUBBIE

I have a similar thing happening on my '10 FLHTCU. Last year it was fine as a 96" with TFI, AC and slip ons. This year as a 103" with 255 cams I have a noise when the engine starts to load up in the higher gears, sounds like little stones hitting the front fender. I have read through this forum and tried all the liitle things with no help. I think it is the compensator as when I stop the bike and I blip the throttle, there is a loud slap from the primary area. I have tried the auto chain adjustment procedure. I am dying to tear into the primary myself but my dealer assures me he will take care of the problem, he thinks it is either the compensator or it is pinging and will take care of whatever the problem is.
I am not trying to hijack this thread but my bike goes in 1st thing tomorrow so I will post the dealers findings maybe it will help the OP.

Back