free website stats program Value question | Harley Davidson Forums

Value question

Hi
I have a friend who has a 1972 Police special.
The bike has been parked outside, under a canopy uncovered, not starteed in over 10 years. The chrome is in bad shape, paint faded etc. Overall the bike is in rough condition. They are thinking about sending it to scrap yard. I am thinking restoration project. If it wont run its a 500lb paper weight lol.
My question is what would be the value of a bike like this in that condition. I am thinking as scrap they would get 50 for it. I am offering them 250 for it as it sits now. Ive seen the bike and its rough but in tact. Any feed back appreciated.
Thanks
Desmond

Hi
I have a friend who has a 1972 Police special.
The bike has been parked outside, under a canopy uncovered, not starteed in over 10 years. The chrome is in bad shape, paint faded etc. Overall the bike is in rough condition. They are thinking about sending it to scrap yard. I am thinking restoration project. If it wont run its a 500lb paper weight lol.
My question is what would be the value of a bike like this in that condition. I am thinking as scrap they would get 50 for it. I am offering them 250 for it as it sits now. Ive seen the bike and its rough but in tact. Any feed back appreciated.
Thanks
Desmond
Just wondering about value more than anything from people who know a lot more about bikes than I do. With the bike in rough shape, I dont want to low ball them with an offer of $250. Ive seen bikes on different websites going for more listed in poor condition but the "Poor condition" is not really clear on sites. Based on my visual of it its in less than poor and given that it hasnt ran in over 10 years. I do appreciate the feedback. My vision with the bike is to bring it back to factory shine.
Thanks again

A bike in this one's condition is in the eyes of the beholder.
There will be hidden repair needs that will show up as your working on it.
Scrap value is less than $250.00
Most scrap value of a car is in the $200.00 - $500.00
So it your good giving the $250.00 and understand you have a big investment in parts and what ever you value your labor time. Than move forward on it.
Worst that can happen is a no on the offer.

Back