free website stats program V&H x pipe with hi output 4. 0 slipons discoloring | Harley Davidson Forums

V&H x pipe with hi output 4. 0 slipons discoloring

wfmacii

Recently I traded in my 2011 Heritage for a 2014 Ultra Limited. At the 5000 mile service I had the dealer install the V&H x header pipe and 4.0 hi output slipons with a SE extreme billet aircleaner. Had the dealer dyno the bike after the install. I had to bring the bike back to the dealer 3 times for exhaust leaks and the tip of the crossover muffler turned a dull dark gray from the heat generated on the left muffler. I was told that both these issues are common with the setup I installed. I ride with several guys with the same setup and noticed their x pipes do not leak and the muffler did not discolor. What's the real story and how can I correct it.

I ride with several guys with the same setup and noticed their x pipes do not leak and the muffler did not discolor.

Did you tell your dealer this fact? Could they ride to the dealer with you to prove your point? Do your friends have any additional tuners that would have them running slightly cooler than you? Your Limited is "twin cooled" right? Maybe something is amiss with the liquid cooling portion causing you to run hotter than normal.

Top of my head about the discolor:

what tuner are you using?

That Might be the problem OR the tuner Tech used?

The other problem Leaking back many time, I'd Think just shoddy workmanship.

Especially with your friends having No problems like yours.:(

NOW that's my opinion only...

signed....BUBBIE

ADDED:

IS the dark Grey inside the muffler? IF so,,, I'd think Normal color MINE are that way V&H slip-ons though...

Doc, I have explained this to the dealer 3 times and called Harley's customer service line. The dealer claims a leak test on the exhaust is not nessesary and customer service just stated that they will have to talk to a certified Harley technician. Harley's customer service rep then calls me back and states the dealer is correct. I asked her why does the Harley service manual recommend leak testing the exhaust system? She just said the mechanic is a Harley certified technician, really. When you put your hand under the crossover pipe the bike has complete exhaust blow-by. Does this not throw off the o2 sensor reading? This is frustrating. The only reason I let the dealer work on the bike within the first 45 was I did not want to create issues with the warranty. This is why I prefer to work on the bike myself and that's why I always bought used bikes in the past.

BUBBIE,

I'm using the SE pro tuner, Platinum plugs, 10MM performance wires. The bike runs great, the right muffle is gray inside the left muffler is black. I find it strange that the left muffed runs very hot and the left muffler is cool to the touch.

The other strange part is the x pipe combines the exhaust from both cylinders, doesn't it? This is why I'm confused.

The discoloration is on the decorative ring on the back of the muffler that holds the baffle in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc, I have explained this to the dealer 3 times and called Harley's customer service line. The dealer claims a leak test on the exhaust is not nessesary and customer service just stated that they will have to talk to a certified Harley technician. Harley's customer service rep then calls me back and states the dealer is correct. I asked her why does the Harley service manual recommend leak testing the exhaust system? She just said the mechanic is a Harley certified technician, really. When you put your hand under the crossover pipe the bike has complete exhaust blow-by. Does this not throw off the o2 sensor reading? This is frustrating. The only reason I let the dealer work on the bike within the first 45 was I did not want to create issues with the warranty. This is why I prefer to work on the bike myself and that's why I always bought used bikes in the past.

Just my 2cents, Find another dealer, your's is not serving you well. With the exhaust installed correctly you will not have leake's or blowby.

I run Bassani true duel exhaust (no leaks) SE engine build and SE pro tuner. Both sides of exhaust run hot and both tips are the same color (dark gray to black) I have no discoloration. If your friends are running basically the same setup as you with no issues then something with the installation and work done by the dealer is amiss.

As BUBBIE said shotty workmanship. Find a new dealer.

Jack,

I lost faith in the dealer when they told me a leak test is not nessesary. I was wondering if anyone here knows any tricks to get the x pipe cross over to seal properly? I tried to tighten the clamp but there was no change in the leak.

I'm not that familiar with your pipes, but on my stock pipes I had a leak at the crossover, and the gasket was crimped and not sealing properly. New gasket and all was good again. You might want to take a look at that. If the gasket isn't in there right, just tightening the clamp won't do any good.

I'm not that familiar with your pipes, but on my stock pipes I had a leak at the crossover, and the gasket was crimped and not sealing properly. New gasket and all was good again. You might want to take a look at that. If the gasket isn't in there right, just tightening the clamp won't do any good.

+1 on what glazier posted. Start with where it seals ie gaskets. Unless for some reason the pipe is out of round the gasket and proper tightening should take care of any leaks.

Glazer & Jeff thanks I thought the same thing because there is a gasket on the stock header pipe. I checked the installion instructions for the header x pipe and there is no gasket mentioned or installed.

Back