free website stats program V&H short shots on a FXDB | Harley Davidson Forums

V&H short shots on a FXDB

harley@16

My son in law is putting short shots on his fxdb. do we need to modify the af ratio? we plan on an intake mod. later and then install a TFI. I was hoping he could run it for awhile with just the exhaust change, hoping that the ECU could adjust enough till we could get the TFI and the K&N intake. Any opinions?
Thanks,
Harley

I'm the son in law... :) I appreciate any help you guys can give on this. I've looked through a lot of different posts concerning similar topics, but someone always seems to derail the topic just as I almost find my answer. HAHA.

Personal opinion is that you won't be happy with just the pipes; both performance and sound wise.

My wife has a FXDB with V&H Short Shots and previously had a Nightster with the same. The Nightster had the SS pipes and Stage 1 Air Cleaner/Download installed and always had a popping noise and ran lean. This time around we installed the V&H High Flow Air Cleaner and the SE Race Tuner on the FXDB along with the Short Shots; big difference in performance.

do it all in one go on the FXDB i currently have shorts on mine and you will need the intake and fueler as the shorts are just to unrestrictive, if you said slipons then yes do it now then later add the fueler and intake but shorts NO

can he get by for a few months till he can afford the fueler and air cleaner without damaging the engine or is that going to be too lean?

thanks Hobbit, i thought that might be the case after reading some posts about the short shots and realized they are pretty wide open. the TFI should be able to richen it up enough, right?

can he get by for a few months till he can afford the fueler and air cleaner without damaging the engine or is that going to be too lean?
I think he would be fine just changing the pipes for a few months, especially this time of year. the hottest it's gonna get is lower 50's, and I doubt he'll get too much time in the saddle Dec,Jan,Feb.
I wouldn't do it in the middle of summer when it's 100 degrees out, but honestly if your son-inlaw lives around here too then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I think he would be fine just changing the pipes for a few months, especially this time of year. the hottest it's gonna get is lower 50's, and I doubt he'll get too much time in the saddle Dec,Jan,Feb.
I wouldn't do it in the middle of summer when it's 100 degrees out, but honestly if your son-inlaw lives around here too then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I think the S-I-L lives in Hawaii ??!!!

Yes. I live in hawaii.

It should drop below 70 or get above 80. I am hoping that within the next month and a half or so I can track down either a V&H intake or a SE intake and a TFI. I will likely be telling the dealership to wait to put the short shots on until I can afford the intake and TFI. This will solve the issue. :)

Any thoughts or suggestions on the V&H intakes with the TFI and short shots?

P.S. Thanks to all for the replies!

I got my bike back with the Short Shots on it. I love the pipes, they sound great!

I did just order the quiet baffles for the pipes and also the Big Sucker Stage 1 intake/air cleaner. My father in law was going to give me the TFI as a Christmas present, but the dealership already putting the pipes on has put a damper on that surprise. So, I should be expecting the TFI within the week. By 1 December I should have it all on the bike. Super pumped! :)

EDIT: By the way, thanks to Harley@16 for my TFI! Can't wait till you can come to the island and ride with me.

I got my bike back with the Short Shots on it. I love the pipes, they sound great!

I did just order the quiet baffles for the pipes and also the Big Sucker Stage 1 intake/air cleaner. My father in law was going to give me the TFI as a Christmas present, but the dealership already putting the pipes on has put a damper on that surprise. So, I should be expecting the TFI within the week. By 1 December I should have it all on the bike. Super pumped! :)

EDIT: By the way, thanks to Harley@16 for my TFI! Can't wait till you can come to the island and ride with me.

February will come quick

Back