free website stats program USS Yosemite | Harley Davidson Forums

USS Yosemite

Redfish-Joe

Didn't know where to put this but I just found out one of the ships I served on was decommissioned and sank in 03.

Awards, Citations and Campaign Ribbons

Secretary of the Navy Letter of Commendation (2)
Top Row - Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation (2)
Second Row - Navy Battle "E" Ribbon (6) - Navy Expeditionary Medal (1-Cuba, 3JAN61-3OCT62) - American Campaign Medal
Third Row - Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal - World War II Victory Medal - Navy Occupation Service Medal (with Asia clasp)
Fourth Row - National Defense Service Medal (3) - Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (1-Cuba, 24OCT62-31DEC62) - Southwest Asia Service Medal
Fifth Row - Sea Service Deployment Ribbon - Philippines Liberation Medal - Kuwait Liberation Medal, Kuwait

Dixie Class Destroyer Tender:
Laid down, 19 January 1942, at Tampa Shipbuilding Co., Inc., Tampa, FL.
Launched, 16 May 1943
Commissioned USS Yosemite (AD-19), 26 March 1944, CAPT. George C. Towner in command
Decommissioned, 27 January 1994, at US Naval Station Mayport, FL., and simultaneously struck from the Naval Register
Laid up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, James, River, Fort Eustis, VA.
Final Disposition, sunk as a target, 18 November 2003 at location 35-54N7 070-04W, at a depth of 2340 fathoms

Attachments

• USS YOSEMITE AD-19 PLAQUE.jpg
    USS YOSEMITE AD-19 PLAQUE.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 23
  • ad-19-5.jpg
    ad-19-5.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 34
Hey Joe, Us Sailors off the Cascade didn't think the YO-YO could get off the coffee grounds that she was sitting on in Newport.

First ship I served on. TAD between MM "A" school and Nuke school. Mayport during the Summer of 1972. Mayport was good duty.

Somehow it feels a loss when you learn that something that was so much a part of your youth is gone. I empathize with you as I too have a memory of a ship now gone.

robermv32-albums-misc+stuff-picture7787-ssbn_657_uss_francis_scott_key_on_sea_trials.jpg

USS Francis Scott Key

robermv32-albums-misc+stuff-picture7788-key_and_sister_boat_in_dry_dock_beginning_the_scrapping_process.jpg

Here she is in dry dock along side another boat beginning the scrapping process

robermv32-albums-misc+stuff-picture7789-my_boat_cut_in_half_totally_gone_today.jpg

They've been cutting her up and now she' in the final stages of her life

I spent some of the best times of my life aboard this boat. Many good memories and although the boat is gone, those memories last a lifetime.

Hey she did pretty good! She came to Naples and relieved your sorry butts. LOL

Your right, and she also stole our cruise to Mardi Gras. Sorry to see her go, Cascade was sold for scrap way back in '75. If you remember Zellars
DD777 she had a worse fate, sold to IRAN and became this ISS IBAR.

Your right, and she also stole our cruise to Mardi Gras. Sorry to see her go, Cascade was sold for scrap way back in '75. If you remember Zellars
DD777 she had a worse fate, sold to IRAN and became this ISS IBAR.

Got sent back stateside before that. Just before I shipped out they were talking about 2 weeks R & R in France. Got back to Mayport, reported to the Grand Canyon. Would rather been in France. LOL

Back