free website stats program Using used cams... | Harley Davidson Forums

Using used cams...

hogrotten

I'm looking for some opinions as to dressing the lobes and bearing races on a set of used cams before install. Used to be I'd dress them with some emery cloth, just curious if this still applies or if there are better methods?

Thanx, Hogrotten.:small3d029:

I'm looking for some opinions as to dressing the lobes and bearing races on a set of used cams before install. Used to be I'd dress them with some emery cloth, just curious if this still applies or if there are better methods?

Thanx, Hogrotten.:small3d029:

I would say, If you need to "Dress" any of the rolling/turning surfaces something is wrong. If you are just cleaning oil deposits etc. 200 grit or finer should be fine. just make sure that all the grit is totally cleaned off so the crocus cloth residue doesn't create a problem.

Personally, I wouldn't even think about dressing up used cams. Stock cams are so cheap most folks can't even give them away. If the used cams have any wear marks whatsoever I'd just pitch them and buy new. If they don't have marks, then you're ok; however, don't take a chance on saving $250 and wrecking a $5K motor.

Guy has a valid point.
The rollers on the tappets will have wear grooves matching up with the old cams, and if you install other cams with different wear marks there could be accelerated wear causing premature problems, I personally install new lifters every time if they have over 5,000 miles on them when I'm changing cams. But I'm a tech not a preacher so take it for what it's worth. Just a opinion.

Guy has a valid point.
The rollers on the tappets will have wear grooves matching up with the old cams, and if you install other cams with different wear marks there could be accelerated wear causing premature problems, I personally install new lifters every time if they have over 5,000 miles on them when I'm changing cams. But I'm a tech not a preacher so take it for what it's worth. Just a opinion.

I'm confused! Your not a preacher? I thought here on HDT it's in CHOPPER we trust.

IMO, used cams present another problem. If they go south, you have to tear the motor down again to replace them. For the money you'll save with the used parts, you'll be kicking yourself if they break and you're back to square one...

Guy has a valid point.

Cams and lifters installed as sets IMO have always practiced what I preach, kind of like doing half a brake job , Jack

The question I guess is why take the risk? By the time you sort it out that it would be okay to use (remember the heat treating surfaces may be worn and when you "dress" it to make sure the lifters have a bedding surface...etc. You can have a new set of the works and be done, with warranty and not worry about having to crack things open again. Do a complete job and your done...just my humble opinion.

Back