free website stats program Using Type F auto tranmission fluid in Primary | Harley Davidson Forums

Using Type F auto tranmission fluid in Primary

banjopete

As seen in some of my posts last month, I had to replace my clutch pack with a Barnett extra plate package. Their instruction say "do not" use HD formula one oil but instead, use regular automotive type F automatic trany fluid. I even phoned Barnett's tech guys to make sure I understood it and my HD service person also said use the type F juice. Their reasons being is HD Formula one causes too much clutch drag and therefore trouble finding neutral.
So after a month and half running it, I find the clutch works just fine but I now got leaky seals. All were just changed last fall and a new prim. case gasket when on as well (with the clutch) It seems to be a "running" leak since when I wipe everything off while it's parked, there are no more leaks. I am not losing much but enough to make a minor mess. The type F is like water compared to HD's formula 1.

Any one else experiencing similar issues using Type F in their primary???

Thanks

Pete

I was in the same boat you are in. I replaced/upgraded my clutch to the Barnet extra plate clutch. I love it and the install went perfect. I even added the 30% heavier diaphragm spring. Kills my hand... but I like it... :)

I am using Drag Specialties oil.

I'm not sure about Type F, but I've heard of people running it before with no ill effects.

Look at the starter, is it wet, if it leaks when it is running this could be the source

I didn't read the leaky seal part... any time I dig into some place where there is fluids, I always replace the gasket; which it sounds like they did, but they might've not taken their time.

When I dismantled mine to install the new extra plate kit, the old gasket left pieces behind, and I had to use fine grit sand paper and time and patience to clean the mating surfaces. I also replaced all of those little O-ring gaskets and the derby cover gasket.

The only way I could see it leaking is if they forgot/damaged one of those O-rings or the derby cover gasket is damaged. Or they didn't properly clean the case correctly when they put the cover back on.

HD95FLHT077.gif
Have a look here @ #18, there is also a Quad ring not pictured here, this is why I say to check near the starter plus the inside of the back of the inner primary

Which seal is it leaking from?

A bolt for the inner?

If it only leaks when running I would suspect that the leak is above the oil level which eliminates a lot of the gaskets etc
So Inner primary seal starter seal or an inner primary bolt above the oil level
My book says to seal the two lower inner primary bolts that go to the gearbox but I do them all as the sprockets and chain throw oil everywhere it can gather and leak

Brian

Thanks for all your inputs guys. My issue is not which seal is leaking but why? Last fall I did a pully replacement and changed ALL seals including quad, starter, main shaft etc, etc. All was tight until I did put in the Barnett chutch pac in early June and used their recommended type F ATF. Now the seals on the backside of the primary sweat/ooze oil.
To Jack K. its hard to tell which one leaks as the back side of the primary is quite wet..

To 03HD883...thanks for the oil recommendation...will consider going to the heavier oil.

As I inferred at the opening of this thread, the type F AFC seems so much wetter than the HD Formula + that it seems to find its way passed the seals.

I do all my own wrenching...retired with plenty of time to make sure flanges are clean. Can't afford the $105/hr shop rate up here and I have been stung a couple of times by bad wrenching at my HD dealership.
Pete

Back