free website stats program Using old "New" oil? | Harley Davidson Forums

Using old "New" oil?

Captain Wacky

Hello, I just recently acquired my dad's 1995 Dyna Super Glide. It has 13,000 miles on it and hasn't been ridden since 2010. He never rode it much and changed the motor, transmission, and chain case fluid only once back in like 2005. So now that its out of storage id like to change it before I ride. But, back in 2005 he bought a big case of HD brand synthetic oil, that he says can be used in motor, tranny, and chain case and theres still half a case of unopened bottles in the garage. Since this synthetic oil is 8 years old but still technically "new" and "unused" will it be just find to use it in my oil change? Or do I buy new? Thanks.

Neil

Blackstone labs did some testing on old oil, stuff that had been in the cans for decades, it was as good as when it went into the can.

No worries using old oil, as long as the container has been unopened.

I went ahead and did the oil change for all three units with the stuff that was in the garage. It was unopened and stored in a decent temperature. Plus it looked, smelled, and tasted like new oil (JK). It was Screaming Eagle SYN 3, and the guy at the parts store said its like 11 bucks a quart, So I was glad not to have to buy it for now! Thanks everyone.

I have never known anyone that tasted enough oil to know if it was new or not. A useful talent some would say. :rofl

Back