free website stats program Using oil is it normal | Harley Davidson Forums

Using oil is it normal

kevinharley2011

Hi I am rideing a 2011 ultra classic 96 ci it has 4500 miles on it, have been using harley full syn sence it was new had oil and all survices done at 1000 miles sence then I have had to add half quart of oil twice is this normal or something I need to worry about. (no leaks in on garage floor) thanks kevin

Hi I am rideing a 2011 ultra classic 96 ci it has 4500 miles on it, have been using harley full syn sence it was new had oil and all survices done at 1000 miles sence then I have had to add half quart of oil twice is this normal or something I need to worry about. (no leaks in on garage floor) thanks kevin
i have owned 5 harleys since 07 and never added oil to any of them between oil changes that sound like some thing going on

Something is wrong since there are no in air filter. Wondering where did the one quart oil go? :small3d031:

When you change the oil on the next service try putting 1/2qt less in. Check the level after 300-400mi and see if it is low.

NO, that much oil is not normal.

If you are not Over Filling?

Check the oil HOT right after a run. That will tell you truthfull level.

It could be bad valve seals causing this oil consumption...

How is the compression?

Does it Smoke a little... Synthetic oil is hard to see IF burning in a small amount. (even harleys) :p

Look at the plugs and see IF one is wet with oil or Black from burning it. For you at home, this might be a good place to start.

IF under Warranty, take it in to the HD shop and keep the Dates and Miles and Amounts of Oil you have added...

HD used to have an amount of oil Needed for using Before they would do anything about.

Long ago 00 FXDS bike, used a lot of oil,,, Nothing being done so I tore it apart to find the valve seals loose One totally off and the others Loosely, finger tight.

The did the new seals but I never got any compensation for the apart and together..

From that time on, I have Done My Own Work... :53::53::53::53::53:

signed....BUBBIE

IF all you have used is a quart in 4500 miles?????????

I had oil usage in a brand new GMC truck. It was using 1 qt between changes.
I took it for a 500 mile trip and drove the (EDIT) out of it. ( it was under warranty HA HA ) It never used oil again even at 318,000 mile it was leak free and never used a drop. Point being,, Everything needs to be broken in and seated. I prefer to do that with dino oil and switch to synthetic afterwards. my 2 cents

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if running dino oil for a few thousand miles would help seat the rings better, if thats what it needs????

Back