free website stats program upgrade to 103 | Harley Davidson Forums

upgrade to 103

CalgaryBikeBum

Hi guys. Last year I replaced my 88 barrels and pistons and put in the big bore kit from hd. That included cams etc? I rode it for about 15000 miles before putting away for winter. I heard some noises at tail end of last year?This year I am planning on making a run up the west coast thru the rockies and down to northern california? And then home for a week and out to Sturgis and back. I don't want to have engine problems to ruin my vacation? The noise sounds suspiciously like a knock down around crank but having not heard it before not sure?
So..... I am thinking if I have to tear it down and do the crank/rods I would pump it up to a 103? Now I understand that means a stroker crank (like 96") come with? Do i have to do any machining to my cases to put that crank in? Its a 2000 Roadking police ? :)

The stroker flywheels are just a bolt in, not much to the except you will have to upgrade from timken bearing to roller bearing on the left side, nothing to it. There is not a lot of performance gain by stroking it, but some, and you can check the rods from the top end before you tear it all the way down if you want, but if you're going to rebuild you might as well go 103.

Thanks Chopper. yeah I did some research and found it was bolt in if I don't exceed 103? Wasn't the earlier years (prior to 2003) the ones that had the good bearing setup? I have a knock that I just can't find? Took rockers apart they look fine? Primary looks good (was new last year) Weird part is its fairly quiet when you start it but gets noiser as it warms up ? I was thinking the HD crank setup (less costly one) and some stroker pistons? What should i do for a carb? Can I use the stock heads? (have some new ones with only 300 miles on them). Thanks for help.

It sounds like you have it together, the stock carb will do fine, it'll just need tuning afterwards. Stock heads will also be fine. If you don't have the cam plate & oil pump upgrade yet, this would be a good time to do it while you're down.
I would total up all your costs and compare to re-man prices, if you're doing all the work yourself you can save, but the re-man prices are hard to beat with a one year warranty, new engine powder coating & all new chrome covers.

Engine Remanufacturing Options and Pricing | Harley-Davidson USA

Well i have all the top end tools as I bought the whole Georges Garage set for doing cams and case bearing (for cams). I just installed the 95 big bore kit last year but didn't touch bottom end (wouldn't you know it?) So figured If i buy the SE 103 Stroker crank and stroker flat tops , rehone the cylinders (only have maybe 16000 miles), buy the Georges Garage Crank tools I"m still ahead , Of course new gasket set etc? What about the cams? I have SE 203's ? Was thinking maybe SE 211's (kind of like the harley parts and I"m not a racer) ? Would I have to touch my stock ignition or would this setup get me rolling (do more touring then in town riding)?? I value your input. There are so many selections its hard to choose? Thought convincing wife would be hardest part. HAHAHA

Sorry . PS If I don't have to do carb replacement then I can still use my cruise and I can use the money on the cam plate upgrade. The new camplates don't use front bearings?? If not then do you have to buy a different cam or are the front cam plates machined to fit existing cam journals? Lastly I understand you get a new oil pump with this setup? Do you still have to mess with the Baisley spring or just run her stock? Thanks for help !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
ide go with a geardrive,weld the new crank,and like chop said,the timken conversion is a must,i would also go with 1.900 int valves for the extra "`s(S&S .551G are really nice torquey cams for a milder,touring build)

Are you sure you need flywheels, when you did your top end did you check the rods for any up/down play, splitting cases and the down time can get pricey. 211 cams would go good with the stroker flywheels but you can also run what you have if the hard face still looks good. Here's the install for the cam plate you can look over, should answer a lot of your questions.
Harley Davidson Community

I"m not sure I need flywheels but I can't find the knock so i"m down to stripping it down to find out? If i was just doing weekend blasts around i would ride it till it got worse (gonna anyways) and fix when it broke? But taking wife along on a 2000 mile trip I don't want to be standing on side of road while our holidays tick by? Bottom end seemed solid enough when I did big bore kit? I pulled engine right out of bike and worked on bench. Would rather have downtime in spring in Canada and do it right (and have some time to break it in and look for problems) then on the road? Took all my heat shields right off to make sure it wasn't something easy? Noise appears after it starts warming up? Thought was to order parts...when all here then take bike apart ..get it done and back on road?

Thats one way to know what you have, plus look at all the fun you'll have, nothings more fun then doing you're own engine, except riding it after you're done. And your right, don't want to be down on the road in the middle of summer.

You are so right! Nothing makes a guy prouder then to roll in on the bike you built yourself (even when you make some mistakes). I'm totally comfortable with doing the work , got a good heated shop, bike hoist etc. and best of all after job's done I get to keep the tools (can never have too many tools) and they are there to help out your buddies? I did my friends cams this winter and he was super happy and it's running like a clock. So you think for now I can get enough fuel for the 103 with the original CV 40mm carb? I would rather do the internals (cams etc) now and I an always do carb later as long as i'm not gonna starve it for air /fuel? Thanks for the feedback.

Back