free website stats program Upgrade Rear Shocks for '05 XL 1200r | Harley Davidson Forums

Upgrade Rear Shocks for '05 XL 1200r

theddoe

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I could not find any threads on my specific bike. I am looking to replace my existing stock rear shocks on my 2005 XL 1200r Sportster. I am not looking to raise or lower my current set-up, just looking to upgrade the shocks to something more comfortable and more stability.

I am looking for some rear shocks that won't break the bank but will handle my 200 lbs frame and my 100 lbs fiance when she does ride. What is more important is my comfort when I ride alone (since I ride alone 90%) of the time.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Theddoe, welcome to the HDTimeline forum where you will find a lot of fellow HD riders and enthusiasts to help you maintain your machine and make it more comfortable.

Regarding suspension mods, you can use what I believe is the standard shock to be 12" (measure the center mounting eye to eye fully extended (lift up on the grab rail if using a tape measure (or check with HD dealer to be sure). Progressive Suspension does make stiffer shock and spring combinations for your Sporty. Google to their website and make a technical inquiry there for the right part number for the rear (order a slightly stiffer spring). Up front you may also want to change the fluid to 7.5Wt or 10Wt fork oil by Belray (they have the 7.5Wt without having to "mix 5Wt & 10Wt" and maybe add to the fluid height by 1 or 2oz. Progressive does offer a stiffer spring w/spacer or without, so the bike will be balanced and be more centered in the adjustment range, and maybe put in a "gold valve" to stiffen the fork with more control.

Theddoe;

Welcome to the forum.

To answer your quest - Hobbit is 100% correct. I have Progressive on each of my road bikes and love them. You can speak with them and get the proper spring rate for your application and you will enjoy them.

I have also heard of folks using bagger air shocks (found on ebay) but cannot comment on their use as I have not ridden with them. I suspect that because HD does not have provide any kind of dampening (compression or rebound) on stock shocks (my experience with Sportsters), that all the stock HD air shocks do is go up and down providing ride height adjustment.

Ride Safe

Jake

Thank you for all the responses. Looking at Progressive's website, there are several series available. Any suggestion on what series (i.e. 412, 418, 430, 440, 812).

I have the pre load and dampening adjustable set on my non HD (Honda) road bike that my wife and I travel on. I have the dampening setting on the lowest setting as I tried to move it up one click and the result was just too harsh for long distance travel.

After a phone call to Progressive where I explained the above, I was told that the non dampening adjustable shocks are valved very near the lowest setting of the adjustable shocks, and that if I wanted the same ride on my Sportster, order the non adjustable units.

I have had the non adjustable units on my Sportster for the better part of two years and love them. As I remember the non adjustable units are quite reasonable in price.

Your riding style may be vastly different from mine and thus you may want the possibility of altering the dampening on the shock. But you should be aware that while adjusting the dampening is useful, I think these unit adjust the compression dampening only, with no adjustment for rebound. This comes in handy for full race applications and if this is what you are seeking, you will need to spend a bit more.

Probably more info than you bargained for, but I hope this helps.

Ride Safe

Jake

hello there i just put 412's on my 2007 sporty 883l on sunday morning 2 days ago ,sooo much better , it was a back breaker with the stock shocks , now it rides smoothly over all but the biggest bumps and then its nowhere as bad as before when i do hit the bigones , im very happy with my choice it rides and handles much better , now im thinking about doing the front forks too hope this helps

Put Road King shocks on wifes 08 1200 she loves them just returned from a 1100 mile trip with her on the sportie me on my Road King over not the greatest roads and she was out riding the next day. you can add air when she rides and let it out when you are alone I already had the low pressure Harley air pump for my bike so didn't have to buy one for hers if you buy used make sure they are sealed so you don't have to mess with the oil we got hers from a tryke dealer who pulls them and all the air lines it makes installing them a lot easer

good luck

Back