free website stats program Upgrade Headlight/Passing Lamps | Harley Davidson Forums

Upgrade Headlight/Passing Lamps

maugusta1

2003 Ultra Classic (late edition) (wedge type bulbs)
Hello, could anyone please advise or suggest if I can safely replace my H4 standard headlight bulb 60/55 watt with a 100/80 watt halogen bulb and change out the 4 1/2" - 30 watt sealed beams to 55 watt without having any hot connections or heat problems? Complete headlight assembly is metal, lens is glass. Can my system safely handle it. I am adding less than 110 watts to system. Bike is completely stock with no added electrial additions.......Thanks

should not be a problem make sure you get the correct replacement bulbs, with every MC/auto using halogen bulbs not all are interchangable...good luck and have fun with it...

I have read of a few problems with melted connectors with the 80/100 bulbs, and also people with no problems with them. The 55w driving lights are pretty bright, and should be re-aimed so you don't get "flashed" by oncoming car. 35w bulbs seem to be ok. Be careful of the repl. bulb neck length, some hit the housing.

Can my system safely handle it.

Is your charging system single or 3 phase. The quoted amperage capacity of the system is at 2500 RPM so if single phase, it may be hard to keep up at idle RPM carrying an extra 7 amps.

Back