free website stats program update on the 74 shovel | Harley Davidson Forums

update on the 74 shovel

rdean617

Part of my situation was a warped clutch hub. It has ben replaced. After installing the kicker, I wasn't able to engage the kicker. I was thinking there was a tranny problem until I reread about trying the kicker with the clutch adjusted and the clutch pulled in.
I then tried turning the engine counter-clockwise with the clutch pulled in, plugs removed. Without trying with too much pressure it didn't move. The engine had been re-worked, with new parts. Cylinders were bored .060 over new rings and pistons. How should I precede without damaging the engine?

How long has bike not run? Maybe rings are stuck to cylinders. Have you sprayed oil in the spark plug holes???

What other history can you give about bike.

Part of my situation was a warped clutch hub. It has ben replaced. After installing the kicker, I wasn't able to engage the kicker. I was thinking there was a tranny problem until I reread about trying the kicker with the clutch adjusted and the clutch pulled in.
I then tried turning the engine counter-clockwise with the clutch pulled in, plugs removed. Without trying with too much pressure it didn't move. The engine had been re-worked, with new parts. Cylinders were bored .060 over new rings and pistons. How should I precede without damaging the engine?

The engine won't (shouldn't) turn with the clutch disengaged (pulled in), that is the reason for clutch. The rear wheel should turn with the clutch pulled in. If it doesn't, there is a problem somewhere in the clutch assembly. Find a clutch parts diagram and make sure all components from the release arm to the hub and plates are properly in place.

The engine won't (shouldn't) turn with the clutch disengaged (pulled in), that is the reason for clutch. The rear wheel should turn with the clutch pulled in. If it doesn't, there is a problem somewhere in the clutch assembly. Find a clutch parts diagram and make sure all components from the release arm to the hub and plates are properly in place.

The bike rolls when in neutral, with the clutch pulled in, while in neutral the bike rolls. With the tranny in first, clutch pulled in the bike rolls but the kicker also turns as the bike rolls.

A simple test for your clutch adj. and kicker. With clutch pulled in you should be able to turn item #4 in Jack's diagram by hand. That's the plate with the 3.5.or 10 nuts on it,depending on clutch hub. If you can turn it by hand then your clutch is pretty close to right. Now with clutch pulled in you should be able to Kick it over with the same results. That plate should turn but not the outer shell which has your primary chain on it.
With the bike in Neutral you should be able to turn the motor sprocket ccw with a wrench. The whole clutch hub should also turn. If you pull the clutch in and turn the motor over with a wrench you would see the same results as clutch in and using the kicker. If you can't turn the motor over with a wrench, clutch in and in neutral, I would lean to a motor problem. I did not quite understand your statement about "With the tranny in first, clutch pulled in the bike rolls but the kicker also turns as the bike rolls. Did you mean the Kicker arm rotates?
tourbox

A simple test for your clutch adj. and kicker. With clutch pulled in you should be able to turn item #4 in Jack's diagram by hand. That's the plate with the 3.5.or 10 nuts on it,depending on clutch hub. If you can turn it by hand then your clutch is pretty close to right. Now with clutch pulled in you should be able to Kick it over with the same results. That plate should turn but not the outer shell which has your primary chain on it.
With the bike in Neutral you should be able to turn the motor sprocket ccw with a wrench. The whole clutch hub should also turn. If you pull the clutch in and turn the motor over with a wrench you would see the same results as clutch in and using the kicker. If you can't turn the motor over with a wrench, clutch in and in neutral, I would lean to a motor problem. I did not quite understand your statement about "With the tranny in first, clutch pulled in the bike rolls but the kicker also turns as the bike rolls. Did you mean the Kicker arm rotates?
tourbox
This is the info I needed to troubleshoot my problem, many thanks. To answer your question concerning the kicker arm, yes. While attempting to start the bike something caused the kicker arm to freeze or jam. It worked all afternoon before the problem occurred. The clutch hub was replaced, but I'll go back and check all is installed correctly. When I re-installed the kicker, I turned the gear and arm as if the kicker was beginning it's stroke and let it ratchet back into place. I felt confident the kicker was installed correctly but not being a mechanic, was totally at a loss where the fly in the ointment was. Again thanks for everyone's input. I will get this bike running but that doesn't mean I don't feel like this:panic:

hd_bigtwin_new.gif

Your kicker should look similar to this picture

hd_bigtwin_new.gif

Your kicker should look similar to this picture

By my manual that's for up to 1969. Mine's like what is on the next page 1970-on.
As I said in my last reply, I feel confidant the kicker is in right. I haven't had a chance to thoroughly troubleshoot the clutch yet. I was just trying to download this post on my laptop to take out to my garage. Thank you for your help, I appreciate any and all answers.

Not much difference in '69-'70, mainly cover. I would take the kicker cover off again and look closely at items 27,28, & 33 in Jack's diagram. I have had #33 break before. When you place the kicker cover on do you put the kicker arm in a 10 'o clock position? It won't go on right without doing that.
tourbox

Back