free website stats program update on tensioners | Harley Davidson Forums

update on tensioners

caseyleiser

checked with my dealer and my cam chain tensioners are covered under my extended warranty. He says if parts are broken off they,re covered, if they,re just worn thin they,re not. Doesn,t make sense to me. I asked him about upgrading to hydraulic or gear, he says just go with new tensioners they,re made a lot stronger now than in 05. O.K. with me it,s free. I can always upgrade later if I want. Just glad God made extended warranties gives me more chrome money.:):)

At least spring for the little it will cost to put in good torrington inner cam bearings, as long as you will be in there.

Enjoy,
Rich P

checked with my dealer and my cam chain tensioners are covered under my extended warranty. He says if parts are broken off they,re covered, if they,re just worn thin they,re not. Doesn,t make sense to me. I asked him about upgrading to hydraulic or gear, he says just go with new tensioners they,re made a lot stronger now than in 05. O.K. with me it,s free. I can always upgrade later if I want. Just glad God made extended warranties gives me more chrome money.:):)

Another theory on just replacing the cam shoes(makes sense to me). Your cam chains have been polished by the miles on your bike. So the new tensioners should wear alot less. I have heard that depending on the were the chain fell in the stamping process, contributes to the amount of wear on the tensioners.
Glad they are fixing it for you.

I wonder if there is a documented tensioner material change.

I think the misunderstanding with what is covered is that if the have broken up then they have failed and are covered by warranty however if they have worn down they have not failed and as a service item you have to pay

Brian

If you wait for the tensioners to break and wreck your motor, would the extended warranty cover it. I figured it would be better to get in there before they break. Sort of like preventive maintenance.

If you wait for the tensioners to break and wreck your motor, would the extended warranty cover it. I figured it would be better to get in there before they break. Sort of like preventive maintenance.
sounds right to me! If I were HD, I'd rather replace 'worn' tensioners than a broken engine! therefore, I (HD) would pay for it.

Bill

Back