free website stats program Unusual true story | Harley Davidson Forums

Unusual true story

R_W_B

Well this is a true story. A couple of weeks ago I was visiting with an old friend of mine. We were sitting on his front porch in the shade, talking and since I had rode my bike over, that kinda set the stage for talking about bikes etc.

My friend used to have a Goldwing years ago but he had congestive heart failure from an enlarged heart, was disabled and can't work anymore. He said he would still try to ride but he can't take the heat in traffic with his condition.

So he is telling me about his brother who has always had Harleys his whole life. In fact I've seen his brother's Ultra parked there one day a few years ago when I dropped by. Well anyhow my friend told me that in 1970 his brother bought a brand new Sporster, it was his first Harley ever owned. He rode it a few months and it was stolen.

He never heard anything more about the bike. But then like 30yrs later, his brother got a call from a detective. His bike was recovered by authorities in Finland. They told him if he wanted it, it he would have to ship the bike back to the states himself. So he paid to ship that old Sportster back. It was in pretty bad condition and needed some work. He fixed it back up and rode it again for a while and then he sold it.

Thought that was a pretty unusual story. My friend's brother is a retired Railroad worker and lives in North Carolina.

Wow, Dave that almost never happens. Once a Harley is stolen it is usually chopped up, and recovery from across the pond WOW:s

I heard a similar story about a 59 Corvette that was stolen when it was still pretty new. The insurance paid the claim and 50 years later the car was recovered. The ins company contacted the owner and said all he had to do was pay back what the insurance had paid out for the car and it was his. Well it was a no brainer, the appraised value of the car was a lot more then he would have to pay out.
Ken

Uh, Brian......do you have some 'splaining to do????? :lolrolling

Ooops, I forgot...your Scottish, not Finnish....boy are you lucky. :p

Uh, Brian......do you have some 'splaining to do????? :lolrolling

Ooops, I forgot...your Scottish, not Finnish....boy are you lucky. :p

Err my sportster was a private import to Uk so is a US domestic model and not an hdi so there are some wee bits that are not right for here
You just never know mine might have been liberated at some point but i do have good documentation for it
so it is mine and legal :p

Brian

err my sportster was a private import to uk so is a us domestic model and not an hdi so there are some wee bits that are not right for here
you just never know mine might have been liberated at some point but i do have good documentation for it
so it is mine and legal :p

brian

Just kidding there cuz......:D :D :D I would have defended you since when I make it over there to visit, you will be my long lost relative. :p

Just kidding there cuz......:D :D :D I would have defended you since when I make it over there to visit, you will be my long lost relative. :p

Aye you might just fit in to the profile of motorcycle riding women in my family :)

Brian

Err my sportster was a private import to Uk so is a US domestic model and not an hdi so there are some wee bits that are not right for here
You just never know mine might have been liberated at some point but i do have good documentation for it
so it is mine and legal :p Brian

Brian I guess Joy thought that because of your 'fin' online name. What does (if anything) the 'fin' in fin_676 mean ?

Brian I guess Joy thought that because of your 'fin' online name. What does (if anything) the 'fin' in fin_676 mean ?

Fin is the first 3 letters of my surname and for the 25 years i was in the army it was the name that most people knew me by
anyone i meet from my time in the army just call me fin as they dont know of any other name that i have
The 676 part is the last three numbers of my army number
As Joy and myself have a fairly good friendship here on the forum i dont think either of us would be in any way offended by anything said by the other she was just having a wee joke with me

Brian

Fin is the first 3 letters of my surname and for the 25 years i was in the army it was the name that most people knew me by
anyone i meet from my time in the army just call me fin as they dont know of any other name that i have
The 676 part is the last three numbers of my army number
As Joy and myself have a fairly good friendship here on the forum i dont think either of us would be in any way offended by anything said by the other she was just having a wee joke with me

Brian
Shoo, I'm sure glad you understood that Brian. :D

Yes, it is true, I was just poking some fun at our neighbor across the pond. :s

Back