free website stats program Ultra lower fairing usefullness?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra lower fairing usefullness??

jerrybombard

Howdy,
At somepoint in 2010, (or sooner if the right bike/price come along) I plan on buying an Ultra Classic to add to "the collection".
My question is, and it's more curiosity than anything, is are the lower fairings worth anything protection wise? Dosen't look like they would do much in the rain. Look like they would be hot in the summer. I do like the moveable part (2010 models) to help keep warm.
I'm down here in South Florida where it rains alot and is warm/hot (depending how you look at it) most of the year. Of course, we do get our 2 weeks of winter in late Jan or Feb where it gets WAY down to 50 degrees. :p

In your climate the lowers don't offer an advantage for you but you can remove them if you wish. In the rein, they offer a little help but you still get wet regardless.

You could just remove the lowers and get a set of the vinyl soft lowers p#58502-80c.Believe they'd also fit the RK.Easy on and easy off, very affordable too.

Howdy,
At somepoint in 2010, (or sooner if the right bike/price come along) I plan on buying an Ultra Classic to add to "the collection".
My question is, and it's more curiosity than anything, is are the lower fairings worth anything protection wise? Dosen't look like they would do much in the rain. Look like they would be hot in the summer. I do like the moveable part (2010 models) to help keep warm.
I'm down here in South Florida where it rains alot and is warm/hot (depending how you look at it) most of the year. Of course, we do get our 2 weeks of winter in late Jan or Feb where it gets WAY down to 50 degrees. :p

I live in Texas close to the Gulf, so apart from the rain issue, temps are about the same. I take my lowers off in about March and put them back on in about late-October/November. I wait until the morning temps are consistently in the lower 50's to go on/come off depending on what Season is coming up.

TQ

Re: Ultra lower fairing usefulness??

The lowers on mine have deflected a couple of stones maybe. The little "glove boxes" on them though are handy for carrying eyeglass cases, a little notebook and pen, and other small items. I live in Orlando and it's pretty darn hot up here. I don't find much difference with them on or off for temperature.

I live in ohio, and take mine off for the summer.
The do offer more protection from water spray when the roads are wet, but if it's raining, you'll still get wet.
If I have alot of highway mapped out for a trip, I put them back on. they do change the airflow and less fatigue if your doing a few hundred miles of super slab.
I can have them on or off in less than 5 minutes.

I took mine off for the summer but they'll be going back on very soon. They do keep you warm and I think they keep you drier. I mainly took mine off to keep the bike cooler in hot temps and I think it helps quite a bit.

Back