free website stats program Ultra Limited Compensator | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra Limited Compensator

HDSS124

Does anyone know if the 2010 Ultra Limited comes from the factory with the SE compensator installed? I was told by the both the dealer where purchased and one other dealer that it does, and told by two other dealers that they don't know (but they werent enthused enough to call the factory to find out). It has the wonderful starting "clunk" typical of the inferior compensator. I hate to take the primary cover off to look, then reinstall to ride while I wait for the SE comp, then remove again to install, but will if I must. Thankz!

I'm not sure but it sounds like it doesn't. Everything I've read from folks who've upgraded to the SE version is that the starting clunk completely goes away.

The above poster is probably correct but why don't you check the parts catalog for your ride, which will have the part number.

Does anyone know if the 2010 Ultra Limited comes from the factory with the SE compensator installed? I was told by the both the dealer where purchased and one other dealer that it does, and told by two other dealers that they don't know (but they werent enthused enough to call the factory to find out). It has the wonderful starting "clunk" typical of the inferior compensator. I hate to take the primary cover off to look, then reinstall to ride while I wait for the SE comp, then remove again to install, but will if I must. Thankz!

The SE bikes disappointingly enough do not have the full range of SE parts that one may think being SE bikes, only the correspondingly high purchase price. With the starter bang on start up, it has the standard compensator.

I would go with checking the parts catalog for your particular model. Surely you will be able to find a person, at the dealership service department, competant enough to look it up and provide a correct answer.
I know that the Tri Glide(trike) comes with the SE compensator as standard equipment, however that is the only one I know for certian.

Thank you to those who responded. Based on the inputs, I ordered the SE from Chicago HD. Received yesterday and installed this am. Amazing difference. Sorry I wasted 3000+ miles with the stock comp. Nice surprise that I didn't need to remove the clutch assembly (saved 10 minutes). There was plenty of slack in the primary chain to slip the old sprocket off and the new one on. Filing the inner primary for clearance was the most time consuming of the entire project, but still was only 90 minutes start to finish.

Well done, glad you got it installed without issue...I think there are owners of 2010 rides who are shaking their heads right now...really sad that MOCO would not put the proper fix in stock...but right now with times as tough as they are, probably a money maker for them if only a few new owners notice...

Well done, glad you got it installed without issue...I think there are owners of 2010 rides who are shaking their heads right now...really sad that MOCO would not put the proper fix in stock...but right now with times as tough as they are, probably a money maker for them if only a few new owners notice...

I dont under stand why they wouldnt have put the better comp in if only so they could upsale it .. and i would think a SE bike should come with all the SE goodies

Thank you to those who responded. Based on the inputs, I ordered the SE from Chicago HD. Received yesterday and installed this am. Amazing difference. Sorry I wasted 3000+ miles with the stock comp. Nice surprise that I didn't need to remove the clutch assembly (saved 10 minutes). There was plenty of slack in the primary chain to slip the old sprocket off and the new one on. Filing the inner primary for clearance was the most time consuming of the entire project, but still was only 90 minutes start to finish.

Any pics of the filing you had to do with the SE part? I was not aware that would be needed. This is a planned mod for my Limited when it finally arrives.

Matthew - I didn't take any pix. There is a ridge on the outer edge of the inner primary that needs about .030 removed from about 5 o'clock to 9 o'clock. I used a rasp then fine file to dress it up. Took about 20 minutes. Once you open it up, it is obvious what needs to be done.

Back