free website stats program Ultra Classic oil pressure issue | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra Classic oil pressure issue

ultraj

I have a 2001 Ultra Classic and the oil pressure gauge bounces from 0 to 60, stays at 30 for awhile then settles at 34 at RPM. I replaced the oil pressure sensor but no help. I'm thinking the next step would be the gauge itself, any ideas on that. It's been like that for a few months, I know I have pressure, took a trip from Phoenix to San Diego and ride it almost every day with no problems.
Any input would be great.

Thanks

I have a 2001 Ultra Classic and the oil pressure gauge bounces from 0 to 60, stays at 30 for awhile then settles at 34 at RPM. I replaced the oil pressure sensor but no help. I'm thinking the next step would be the gauge itself, any ideas on that. It's been like that for a few months, I know I have pressure, took a trip from Phoenix to San Diego and ride it almost every day with no problems.

Thanks

Cant trust these gauges, you could check with a home made master gauge, these bikes will run with low pressure quite well surprisingly JMO

Thanks

Need a little More on the 0- 60

Has it been apart before the problem appeared?

How many miles on the bike and weight/brand Oil used in engine?

Is it the SAME every time started? Meaning exactly the same probleem?

Explain this:

Start the Engine (first start of the day),,,,,, What does it do from there? Assuming you are Not on the throttle..... describe the oil pressure as you are watching it...Time element involved then also.

Does it go 0 up to 60 than down to 30 then back to a normal 34....
How long does this take... (time wise) 30 seconds---- couple minutes????

does the gauge move smooooooth or Abruptly

What does it IDLE at when cold & Is your Idle UP enough at 950/1100 rpm.

Does it duplicate this EVERY time it is shut off? ...... Then re-started???

OR only once at first Cold start?

Get back with these answers and I will have More to go on.

signed....BUBBIE

Put in a new oil pump about 30k ago, hasn't been apart since. Have run Screemin Eagle Synthetic in it since new, now has 98K. Pretty much does the same thing on startup, bounces from 0 -60 real rapid for a few seconds, after a few minutes will settle down in the 35 range until RPM change or shut down, then we start all over again, it almost acts like a short in the wiring (checked and seems to be ok). Idle is 1000 RPM
I think thats everything.
Thanks,
Bubbie

Put in a new oil pump about 30k ago, hasn't been apart since. Have run Screemin Eagle Synthetic in it since new, now has 98K. Pretty much does the same thing on startup, bounces from 0 -60 real rapid for a few seconds, after a few minutes will settle down in the 35 range until RPM change or shut down, then we start all over again, it almost acts like a short in the wiring (checked and seems to be ok). Idle is 1000 RPM
I think thats everything.
Thanks,
Bubbie

IF the relief valve sticks CLOSED ,,,, That in its self would do what you say it is doing... I still would temp. replace the gauge FIRST

And IF it still does this :::: THEN,,, I say it is the Relief valve staying closed,,, sticking there for a time. and 60 lbs is NORMAL when cold BUT not when HOT MOTOR....

If the Spring loaded relief valve in the support plate is sticking,,,,, the HOT start up idle Will NOT go to 60 lbs,,, Making it to be the gauge....

COLD oil YES ,,,,,HOT OIL IDLE ""NO""

hope this helps...

signed....BUBBIE

PS
My bikes WILL show upward of 55 lbs then I see the relief vale Open and oil goes to 40 is normal on COLD OIL......

Thanks Bubbie,
I installed a new gauge and all is well, I did notice that my gauges are loose, I checked with HD and they said that was not right. will figure out why all four small gauges are loose in the fairing.

Thanks for your help

Ultraj

Back