free website stats program Ultra Classic inner cam shaft bearing | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra Classic inner cam shaft bearing

otter1958

I was on a recent trip when my engine started making a strange whirring sound, I looked down at the oil gauge and saw that there was no oil pressure. Ended up having it towed to Applleton Harley in Clarksville, TN. They opened it up to find that the inner cam shaft bearing had broken up and ruined my engine. Thank God I wasn't on the interstate when this happened!! I can't imagine going 70 mph and having the engine freeze up! I had only 24,000 miles on this 2006 machine but no warranty or extended warranty. Cost to repair was about $4,200.00. I have to give Louis the head mechanic at Appleton HD a big thank you!! He called HD and told them that the inner cam shaft bearing was a factory defect and got HD to pick up $2,900.00 of the cost. Anyone else out there lost a inner cam shaft bearing??

Great to hear that HD picked up a good amount of the $$... Hope you went with or They went with the better INA style of cam bearing.. Or do you know...

signed.....BUBBIE :D

Sorry about the problems, but great that the MOCo picked up some of the tab. When I did the conversion to hydraulic tensioners, I replaced the INA's with the Torringtons. Major difference in construction of the bearings.

I was on a recent trip when my engine started making a strange whirring sound, I looked down at the oil gauge and saw that there was no oil pressure. Ended up having it towed to Applleton Harley in Clarksville, TN. They opened it up to find that the inner cam shaft bearing had broken up and ruined my engine. Thank God I wasn't on the interstate when this happened!! I can't imagine going 70 mph and having the engine freeze up! I had only 24,000 miles on this 2006 machine but no warranty or extended warranty. Cost to repair was about $4,200.00. I have to give Louis the head mechanic at Appleton HD a big thank you!! He called HD and told them that the inner cam shaft bearing was a factory defect and got HD to pick up $2,900.00 of the cost. Anyone else out there lost a inner cam shaft bearing??

I haven't personally had this failure, but others on this site have. I have up-graded the cheap INA inner camshaft bearings on BOTH my bikes. Here is a comparison of the INAs and the Torringtons (INA on the right). Make your own assessment!!

4755d1255523683-timing_is_way_out_no_seeming_adjustment-torrington_vs_ina.jpg

TQ

Great to hear that HD picked up a good amount of the $$... Hope you went with or They went with the better INA style of cam bearing.. Or do you know...

signed.....BUBBIE :D

I think I have a Brain Fog.... I was referring to the better bearing as TQ1 shows.... The Torrington ,,,, A full side by side roller caged bearing... I bet I have referred Before in this same Miss-worded fashion.... Sorry as the Torrington is the way I go..

signed....BUBBIE:29:

The Torrington now made by Timken are a lot better bearings replaced them on mine when i did the cams

I think I have a Brain Fog.... I was referring to the better bearing as TQ1 shows.... The Torrington ,,,, A full side by side roller caged bearing... I bet I have referred Before in this same Miss-worded fashion.... Sorry as the Torrington is the way I go..

signed....BUBBIE:29:

Bubster, put down the pork chop and study this post and there will be a test on it in the morning :lolrolling

Cam Bearings - Harley Davidson Community

The Torrington now made by Timken are a lot better bearings replaced them on mine when i did the cams

What was or is the reason HD spaced their INA bearings?
It could not be that "Less" expensive?

Just wondered, MAYBE Chopper will Also chime in here????

thanks for any replies..:18:

signed....BUBBIE

What was or is the reason HD spaced their INA bearings?
It could not be that "Less" expensive?

Just wondered, MAYBE Chopper will Also chime in here????

thanks for any replies..:18:

signed....BUBBIE

When you go to buy them Ina are $2 and Torrington are 4.50$ they use the ina for same reason any manuf would cheaper

I have an 09 ultra, are they still using the cheaper bearing?

Yes they are

Back