free website stats program Ultima 113 engine noise. | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultima 113 engine noise.

zoood

Product Contributor
Ive 18000 miles on my 113. Though the tapping/lifter noise has been with this engine for about 15000 miles, not really loud, but noticeable enough to notice. All of which I changed out to Jims lifters and then to Velva touch lifter kit and still Have the lifter tapping noise. Until it got real loud and my engine stopped. When I tore into the engine. Looking under the valve covers for the very first time, since I purchased the engine new in 2009. I found what was the problem. It wasn't the lifters. But the rocker box centers were installed by an idiot at the factory that tightened the rocker center sections down beyond torque specs and also used the wrong sized washers underneath the hex bolts that retain the rocker rods from sliding out and also used washers that were the wrong diameter for the holes they were set in under the socket head bolts.

80-rocker1_efe911ff4667cb1f6277a3a724f30dfce3d6e5dc.jpg

This is the cause of faulty craftsmanship performed by someone during assembly of my engine at the Ultima Engine plant.

80-rocker4_f3819e1619c5b9612ebc352ce8f1c1adb74aff85.jpg

80-rocker7_b3f00d2cf096e60b86014ebcc3e6a9c48d057f0c.jpg

The lifter tapping noise was the rocker hitting the valve cover.

80-rocker8_455f27366445db3069522b676636f875dad09e45.jpg

80-rocker_center_mount1_5c5ffd2399da8e66e0ef6d85fb81d76fa5901937.jpg

I was very cautious when setting the adjustment on my adjustable pushrods. My adjustment had nothing to do with the metal fatigue/ failure. These parts, even though the engines block has Made in USA stamped on it. The parts that broke and cracked are made in China! The assembly of these parts in the engine was done state side. Built by someone that was a total idiot and didn't give a hoot about their craftsmanship!

80-rocker_center_mount7_bffc6119fa289f8e48aa418ff922fdd564832127.jpg

Under the socket bolt is a washer ( one that didnt fit) and when the socket head bolt was tightened down. Caused hair line fractures in the aluminum.

80-rocker_washer1_70add03a5e19b117615506a9465062766d7500c4.jpg

Looking at the old washer, one can see that the bolts shoulder, where it attaches to the underside of the bolt head. When tightened down on the washer. The underside of the bolt head made an impression in the washer. Shows that someone over tightened the bolt to cause that impression in the washer.

80-rocker_washer3_314f95fa679ac319e544232233b4711f433df498.jpg

Looking at this view you can plainly see that the washer used wasn't large enough in diameter.

80-rocker_washer2_a240586d2519b08c0a5f73de5cb5d2dd66209424.jpg

I made new washers that cover and hold more area like it should have been done in the first place.

80-rocker_washer6_bbeac407149ec0b1b56dd9b7262348403572053c.jpg

There are washers stuck down in these holes. Though my 1st intentions was to reuse the washers. I found that I couldn't pry them out of the holes!

If any one out there especially with a 113. Please check under your valve covers and look for hairline fractures in the rocker center boxes. I dont believe China is using the aircraft aluminum they are suppose to be using or Ultima isn't inspecting their wares. Either way. I would like to have whomever is seeing these defects in your engine to please post to me in an IM or in here. Ultima says they never seen my problem before. Its up to you ultima owners out there to take a look. its only 12 socket head bolts to remove to look under the valve covers.

zoood/RJ

I think it was a 1 year replacement. Engines a 2009. So nothing applies,. except the Guy I bought it from. He owns a shop and felt bad that it happened like it did. So I got all the replacement parts at his cost.

what kind of warranty did the engine come with....just curious

It's been a year now. So here's an update. 1st off for the past year I'm lucky if I put 400 miles on my trike. Because after fixing the problem posted above. That darn tap noise that shouldn't be there, IS still there! I finally said the heck with it and dropped the trike off at a shop that I trust to work on it and figure out where that tapping is coming from. It took them a day or so. But they finally managed to find the culprit that was causing the noise. Turns out that when the factory built this engine. It was a special build that the guy before me, the previous owner had the factory do to the engine, setting it up for racing. Just a note here about the previous owner. Though he paid additional money to have the factory do special work to it. When the engine was ready, he had unfortunately passed away, yep, he died. So I was offered the engine. But the factory's problem was that they allowed some idiot to assemble it. When the shop tore my upper end apart. They found that the wrist pin had an up and down movement within the piston. Both of the end clips were still in. But the up and down motion of the wrist pin made the tap or slap sound that I was hearing within the piston. It didnt harm the cylinder wall, but was actually making the wrist pins location within the piston bigger. Also when they examined the heads. They noted that both exhaust valve seats were not flush in the heads. But were protruding, 3\32 out of the head. One exhaust valve has to be replaced and the pistons need to be replaced as well. The pistons are made by a company in Italy that exclusively builds pistons for the Indy race cars. A set of pistons costs 428.00 a set. All this time I thought it was the lifters and tappets and so did anyone else that heard that tap I was hearing. No one, not even me would think that a brand new engine would have these problems. So next week. I will be doing some serious riding for a long time and for as much as I can.

RJ/zoood

Back