free website stats program twincam dipstick | Harley Davidson Forums

twincam dipstick

motor

Does anyone make any kind of latching dipstick that will fit a 1999 twincam touring .Any input appreciated

motor,

I thought to answer your post as no answers yet.

MY thinking:

I have not seen anything of that nature. BUT??? Now this is just a question to look into.

Wonder "IF" you could change out the Top of the tranny cover to a newer design. Now remember, I'm still half asleep at 5:30 am...:small3d012:

I had a 2000 FXDS that had the Plug into the filler and what I understand you are wanting a Holding type or a screw in-on type.

Someone may know the answer here as there are some strange things on the after market.

Trying to see in my mind the part (oil filler hole) on your application... ?:newsmile079:

signed....BUBBIE

I don't understand the question/concept. The dipstick screws in, why would a latching type be better? Are we talking engine oil or trans oil dipstick?

Mine is a rubber plugin type .Nothing secures it .A friend has a lcd temp type stick that requires a twist to allow it to be removed .Can't find one to fit mine .When I dog my bike ,I have actually had it push out .Motor has good compression,runs great and doesn't appear to have much blowby at all. Stock stick Seems like a PP design.If I can retro a screw in type side cover ,,,that would be cool .I think ,but am not sure 1999 tc touring has different size hole than later models .Thanks for input .Any ideas encouraged

Breeze3at it is engine oil stick

My 05 FLTRI also has the plug in type of dipstick, and I have not had the problem with it "pushing out" that you mentioned. Maybe yours is just worn out and you just need a new dipstick.

Brother Pete,
Your still an EVO Guy,

Yes we are talking about the Oil fill Plug, Not Threaded into the oil fill on the early EVO motors OR like OP says 99 TC.... Looking at yours would be handy...

They have a rubber tension fitted to Hold the stick in. I know on a softail and sportster, there were ways to Tighten by putting a Backing "0" ring onto (behind) the factory one to make it fit tighter. Probably not so on the EVO's???????

Memory only says to me that there were different styles made... My 2000 was a larger type like a big boot of rubber (not "0" rings)and the older ones were Only "0" rings in a groove.. Correct me IF I am wrong here Pete.....

Pre 2000's may have had the Not so good to hold oil filler plug. I had a 97 EVO from new but that was a 100 years ago....:D

The 2000 TC had No problems holding in as far as my bike... Getting it out was harder than IN...

signed....BUBBIE

This is a new one.

Try a dip stick from another bike that fits tight.

If loose in yours, measure the hole and replace plate if machined too big.
If fits snug, replace your dipstick (If it fits better than yours).

If all the same, check your breathers..??

Motor,

Had a similar problem on my softail. cap blowing out. Bought a new cap from Harley dealer, less than $20, and drained a little oil from the tank, it may have been too full, I have not had a problem since.

I had trouble with my dipstick pushing out and found the rubber had shrunk or got hard and wasn't very tight anymore. I took a short piece of garden hose and pushed it inside the rubber of the dipstick. It expanded the rubber and now the dipstick stays in nice and tight. Just another cheap farmer fix.:s

I had trouble with my dipstick pushing out and found the rubber had shrunk or got hard and wasn't very tight anymore. I took a short piece of garden hose and pushed it inside the rubber of the dipstick. It expanded the rubber and now the dipstick stays in nice and tight. Just another cheap farmer fix.:s

:bigsmiley20:

And Now, geezer Can't get it out Easily as it is Sooooo tight...
Did you remove the metal hose end?:D

Just had to give you a hard time Ron... Pay-Back time when you get here to WARM-SUNNY Az.

Looking forward to our Warmth here and your Visit...

Good information you posted to help out here.......

Just had to POKE the Canuck a bit. Eh

signed....BUBBIE

Back