free website stats program twincam 88 cylinder heads | Harley Davidson Forums

twincam 88 cylinder heads

HOLY DIVER

ok so i've saved the $$ i'm switching over to hydraulic tensioners with andrews 26 cams.....so now brain is on to the next project to save cash for,this is what i'm thinking.i want to stay with the stock bore and compression and put a good set heads on that flow better.what i'm thinking is if i stick with the stock bore and compression just normal riding should not affect engine life but with better flowing heads when ever i want the power its there. what heads should i be saving up to buy for what i want to do?:D

I picked up a take off set of 07^ heads with the beehive springs off a 96" for the same project. They flow just a little better than the stock heads on my E-Glide. Debating on the 21's or 26's since most of my riding is still one up, but as the weather has been warming up, the Mrs. has been going for more rides. I shift at around 3000-3200 rpms now and that would be right in the meat of either cam. The 21 would come on about 200 rpms sooner.

Some 96" heads may be something to look into although the power gains aren't going to be as strong as a set of well ported and flowed units by a reputable head shop but for the relatively minimal cost I paid for these, they're going on when I do my cam and SE hydraulic upgrade in a couple of weeks. Hopefully it'll wake this little 88 up a bit.
WAP.gif

Did the hydraulic tensioner update a few years ago. Put in a set of Andrews 26N's, a Big Sucker air cleaner, and a Dobek, to go along with the V&H mufflers that I already had. That combo gave me really noticeable mid range increase while leaving the fuel economy at about 40 to 45 mpg. I'm sure that any head work would add to the results. Good luck....

A set of '06 or later heads with about .050" milled and a .030" head gasket will boost compression up about 9.5 and you wouldn't want to go much more than 9.6 with those cams. Those cams, like most aftermarket cams, need more than stock compression to shine. The added compression will make a huge difference in performance. You should consider adding the Dobeck TFI, at least Gen3 so you can tune the motor; you will need it.

If you did not upgrade the inner cam bearings when you installed the cams, you should do that ASAP.

A set of '06 or later heads with about .050" milled and a .030" head gasket will boost compression up about 9.5 and you wouldn't want to go much more than 9.6 with those cams. Those cams, like most aftermarket cams, need more than stock compression to shine. The added compression will make a huge difference in performance. You should consider adding the Dobeck TFI, at least Gen3 so you can tune the motor; you will need it.

If you did not upgrade the inner cam bearings when you installed the cams, you should do that ASAP.

dobeck won't help me much with this CV carburetor :)

Back