free website stats program Twin Tec 1005 | Harley Davidson Forums

Twin Tec 1005

BILLY2014

Hello all,

I just iinstalled a new Twin Tec ignition and she fired right up after the install.

Oh, yea, 1997 FLSTC, EV27.

Question is, the green VOES LED is not coming on. Tested the VOES with a vacuum pump, checked continuity, all checked fine.

I read the instructions over and over, and I think the green VOES light only comes on when the timing is advanced, but, I'm trying to confirm.

Thanks.

I did. It didn't.:(

The VOES switch senses manifold pressure. Most carbureted H-D® models manufactured from 1980-98 and some later Sportsters® use a VOES switch to increase ignition timing advance during idle and cruise conditions. When manifold pressure (MAP) drops, the normally open VOES switch closes and connects the ignition module's VOES input (violet/white wire) to ground. The green VOES LED will illuminate. The ignition module then uses the low MAP advance curve. If you look at the advance curves published in our instructions, you will see that the low MAP curves are somewhat more aggressive than the wide open throttle (WOT) curves. The additional advance stabilizes the idle and improves cruise fuel economy. The VOES switch has no effect on wide open throttle (WOT) operation.

During normal operation, the green VOES LED should illuminate during idle. If you have installed a high performance camshaft or made other major modifications, manifold pressure may run higher at idle. In this case, the green VOES LED will not illuminate at idle. You should still see the green VOES LED momentarily illuminate if you rev the engine up to about 2,500 RPM and then close the throttle.

We recommend that you leave the VOES switch connected. If you have a motorcycle where the VOES switch was removed, we recommend that you replace it. We offer P/N VOES-KIT-MC7. This is a complete kit with mounting bracket and has a vacuum switching level of 6-7 in-Hg that helps eliminate spark knock under light load or throttle roll-on.

From their web page

http://www.daytona-twintec.com/download/VOES_Instructions.pdf Look here also

Thanks. I must have something hooked up incorrectly, but, it's pretty straight forward. I'll be going over it again tonight.

I guess the EV27 may have something to do with it.

Back