free website stats program Twin cam 96 vs.96B | Harley Davidson Forums

Twin cam 96 vs.96B

Here's the "Reader's Digest" answer - the 96B is internally balanced and very smooth sitting still at a stop light and simply idling. The 96 is rubber mounted to the frame and smooth at speed but has the traditional Harley shake when idling.

I don't think the two are interchangeable. I believe the way the engine mounts is 90 deg out, between the two. Also, if the counterbalancer on the B moves out of correct position, the results are more bouncy than the non-B engine.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Great article Tank. Thank you. Earlier I did a search in the self help for twin cam 96B vs. 96 and it came up empty.

The B motor started life as an 88 for the softail family, The Moco wanted to take out the vibration many owners complained about with the internal counter balancer set up rather than rubber mounts like the Dyna and Touring models

Actually,is there any reason why the "B" motor is not the engine of choice?

There are a myriad of posts on cracked exhaust pipes,fallen off bits and pieces,engine mounts breaking,the vibes at and near idle and of course the problems with having a moving engine inside static framework.

I know there are very slight differences in HP and TQ,but overall i'd think the balanced motor would be a better long-term option.

What's the story?

Actually,is there any reason why the "B" motor is not the engine of choice?

It could be an interesting debate. I have a buddy that has a 88 "B" engine and with the engine running the bars are as smooth as glass. But realize the engine is not really balanced and is only offset with another rotating imbalance. Two opposing imbalances which nets the illusion to be balanced but it's not. The added stress on crankshaft bearings in a "B" motor has got to be out of sight.

I didn't know a B engine was even available with a press fitted 96" crank. I really would wonder about having a combo like that.

Back