free website stats program Turns over but will not start | Harley Davidson Forums

Turns over but will not start

Sea Fox

My son ran my 2000 Ultra Glide out of gas (completely). After putting fresh gas in tank, I tried starting the bike several times. It turns over and sometimes backfires, but will not start. I sthere air in the injectors or something? HELP!

Thanks, Patrick.

The fuel pump will purge any air that could be in the injectors so I doubt that's the case. Possible the pump overheated and burnt out with no fuel in the tank if the ignition was on for any period of time.
Can you hear the pump run after you filled it up and turned on the ignition?

The lack of follow up suggests you got it running. However, as a suggestion, any time I open the fuel system on a car (usually replacing the fuel filter) I cycle the ignition on and off at least 3 times to try to prime the fuel system as fully as possible before starting the engine. So far, I have always gotten a smooth start and no missing. Perhaps that technique might help clear an air lock on your scooter.

I sprayed starter fluid in the air intake, but that did not help. I checked both plugs and they show spark. Turns over, backfires and still does not start.

Do you hear the pump recycling after it stops if you were to let it rest and turn the ignition back on again?

You may want to check the fuel pressure in the system.

It might be a clogged fuel filter if the tank was run dry. Sometimes there is sediment at the bottom. Just a thought.

Back