free website stats program Turning corners | Harley Davidson Forums

Turning corners

BOWHIKER

What do you guys do when turning a corner ? Example - on a street whit a posted speed limit of 35 mph , i run 39 mph in 3rd gear , turning onto a side street which is 25 mph . Do you down shift to 2nd or 1st , staying in 2nd seems like it may lug the engine a little maybe not . I've done both ways just wondering what others do .

I lean in direction of turn. :newsmile016: And use a gear that keeps the engine above 2,000 rpm.

I just started riding an 08 Ultra Classic and if I "accidentally" shift down to 1st coming from a higher gear..I get all kinds of whines and whistles and backtalking the ole boy does to me.

I consider anything running in any gear that's under 2k rpm..lugging the engine. That said, in your scenario I'd probably shift it down into 2nd and just feather the clutch if necessary. I'm only liking 1st gear when pulling out from a dead stop, unless really running slow.

EDIT...what Breeze said lol -

Erm dunno I just ride but I do try and keep rpms between 2 and 3 K
WAP.gif

Same with me. Anything under 2 grand seems to lug the engine.

Dpeneds on how wide of a turn you can make and how fast you are going, like the guys said, you want to keep it twisting above two grand. you can tell if it feels OK or not.

The important thing is to enter the turn slower than you need to and accelerate out of the turn. You don't want to enter and then have to slow. Higher rpm's gives you more options to maintain traction. Anything under 2000 is not good. Use engine breaking and then accelerate out of the turn.

I think its all about traction and RPMS, and looking ahead to see the corner and traffic

Back