free website stats program turn signals won't self cancel | Harley Davidson Forums

turn signals won't self cancel

nascar7613

1994 XL1200, turn signals won't self cancel. Replaced module, still won't cancel. Does anyone know what sends the signal to the module to cancel the turn signal since there is no VSS.

The signal to cancel the turn signal come from the speedometer

Brian

Just use hand signals. They never fail to self cancel. :taunt Sorry...couldn't help myself.:small3d031:

The speedometer is a cable driven style with no electronics.

Only pulling from my memory but I thought there was a magnetic glass reed switch inside the speedo that was used as a distance counter for turn signal cancellation. I read somewhere that older HD cable driven speedo's had them. I am just not sure if it was on XL models.

No wires other than one single wire for the light bulb is coming out of the speedo. (maybe 2 wires for ground & bulb positive)

The 94 sportster does have self cancelling turn signals that will not self cancel if the speedo cable snaps
As the speedo cable only drives the speedo the trigger for self cancel must be part of the speedo
the self cancel can be disabled by disconnecting the green signal wire at the tsm plug
My wife has had a snapped speedo cable on her 94 sportster and her 94 dyna and on both occasions the turn signals failed to self cancel
I will do a wee bit more investigation on this in about 12 hours once home from work

Brian

Seems there is a reed in the speedo that sends a signal to the tsm as to how far you have gone since you actuated the turn signal this is a white / green wire that comes from the speedo and goes to the tsm it is pin no 2 on the speedo connector block and pin no 3 at the tsm connector
so there should be at least 2 wires from the speedo as it seems to share a common ground with the tacho on the 883 there are 3 wires coming from the speedo the white with a green trace is the one that is perhaps faulty or could be the reed not sure from this distance
support the bike with the front wheel off the ground connect an ohmmeter between the speedo white/green wire and ground spin the front wheel watch the scale it should alternate between 0 ohms and infinity if that is ok then check that there is 12 volts to the tsm end of the connection by unplugging the tsm connector and testing between pin 3 white/green and ground if there is 12 volts then the tsm is faulty if you do not have 12 volts then there is a wiring fault

I hope this helps a wee bit, be aware i only know a wee bit about this electrickery stuff

Brian

Back