free website stats program turn signals not working | Harley Davidson Forums

turn signals not working

CorkyShark

I have a 1994 Custom XL1200C; the problem is the signals lights do not work. But the emergency lights do work. The bulbs are good. The switches work, because the emergency lights come on when I push both switches. Can anyone help me with this problem?

I have a 1994 Custom XL1200C; the problem is the signals lights do not work. But the emergency lights do work. The bulbs are good. The switches work, because the emergency lights come on when I push both switches. Can anyone help me with this problem?

have you installed led turn signals,if so you need a load equalizer leds dont draw as much juice as the stock

CorkyShark, welcome to HDTimeline and your first troubleshooting "exercise". What others are trying to say is you need to determine if the turnsignal lighting is filament type (stock) or LED type (aftermarket).

1) Turnsignals all stock means the front signal lights one of the two filaments in the front; the rear signal lights use single filiament lights. What that means is the fronts have "running light filiament AND a signal filiament", the backs have a single filiament that only has a single turnsignal filiament, with the brake light coming on when you hit the brakes.

If stock setup and you have checked the bulbs by swapping right to left, then new one(s) if you find the offending one and your good. Check and make sure there is no corrosion or misallignment or wrong bulb used, clean contacts and use dielectric grease before you put each one back together. Wiring, corrosion and pinched/cut insulation are the most common problems and in that order. If all else fails, then you have a bad TSM/TSSM module which runs...you guessed it about $150...!

2) If you have LED type bulbs, someone replaced the turnsignals BEFORE you and may not have added the recommended load equilizer (simulates load of filament type bulbs), and never got the problem fixed just right, and if left alone it can "fry" the TSM/TSSM. Hopefully you have not gotton to this point and have to replace the module.

Last edited:

(1)You are correct in stating that your switches are working. (You've sent pulses to the TSM and it responded correctly by switching to emergency flashing mode.
(2)Your wiring & voltage are OK or you wouldn't have seen the flashing lights.
(3) (If in fact you have filament type bulbs) Your lack of turn signal activity strongly suggests a faulty TSM.

As fwcle, Jasyson459, Jack Klarich & NEWHD74FAN have already pointed out.

The part finally came in and yes it was the TSM. Replaced it today and now my signal lights are working. Thanks guys !!!!

Back