free website stats program Turn Signal/Security | Harley Davidson Forums

Turn Signal/Security

fatboy2003

I have a problem (SOMETIMES).... My left turn signal doesn't signal always. I can tell of all the trouble shooting I have done so far. I have checked signal bulbs. (BOTH ARE GOOD).... I have disconnected the battery.... Performed the reconfiguration.... ie. RUN Switch Off. Turn ignition key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON.. Press left turn signal twice, wait until you see two flashes from both signals. Turn Off Ignition switch... It worked and all was restored. Both signals worked fine. After going approx. 5-10 miles, I try to make a left turn...signal light doesn't come on. AND I NOTICE...the "red" key icon is illuminated and stays on steady. I continued riding until I got home. I then realized the signal works again. What's up with this???? I need help:52:

Could be a swinging filament in the bulb, bad ground or bad connection in the socket.

No problems with either bulbs. Front and rear. Left the shop and went home. Shut bike off. Started it again to put in garage, and signal was fine. Looked as if nothing happened. but problem still exists when I start it up and go............

Do you know what a swinging filament is? Sometimes it makes connection and others it doesn't.
I checked bulbs again and replaced with new ones. Same problem. I took a long ride today and I still have the problem. I went to a dealer. Spoke to a mech.. He said what I didn't want to hear but I was leaning to this too. It's my TSM. But in my case it's my TSSM. Which runs about $300. I'm thinking about just replacing the TSM. It's cheaper. Plus I don't use the security system anyway.

You could replace with TSM, but really should use the TSSM, especially in these hard economic time...replacing your ride is A LOT MORE than the difference in price...

Broke down and went to dealer today. He put bike on computer. Didn't show any problems, but he went through the motions. After 45 minutes he told me this. . Tried a new TSSM from a new bike. Still had problem. So he ruled out the TSSM. Noticed discoloration in turn signal bulbs. Slight bends in the filament. Replaced bulbs in signals. With upgraded bulbs. Problem " NO MORE".
Charged $88 for labor. Bulbs free... I leave the shop happier then (EDIT). Get down in 4th gear and low and behold.....The red Key light in illuminated :)newsmile055: EDIT) Get home and try to call the guy and obviously....No answer....Closed until tomorrow..

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem has been solved. It seems that when I bought the bike in 2003, I put saddle bags on as an accessary. Had to relocate rear turn signals. Well after Dealer put bike on analyzer, touched left wires and noticed there was a bit of exposed wire. This was the problem. Put a new turn signal on. Glad it wasn't the TSSM.

And on top of all that you also had an honest customer friendly dealer who tried the cheapest way to deal with your problem.
Many would have put on a new TSSM and claim that, if the problem returned, that the TSSM was part of the problem but that there was more.

Back