free website stats program Turn signal issue | Harley Davidson Forums

Turn signal issue

shanedawg

New to this site and it looks like a great one to solve any Harley problems. I have a question for you all. I have an 01 Dyna Wide Glide and ran it without front turn signals for about a year or so, the back blinkers always worked fine. Then due to all the safety issues aboard the base, I put mini led front turn signals on a few weeks ago. They have been working great for the last few weeks. Then this past weekend I got on it to go for a ride and when I first started it the battery seemed like it had lost charge, but it started well that evening at the end of the ride I noticed that both front and rear turn signals had quit working, but the left still work fine. I checked the bulbs, ground to both and it is all fine. Could this be a turn signal module problem? If so where is it located at on an 01 Dyna Wide Glide?

It could be a TSM problem but the TSM is calculating the draw from the lights in your case LED's that are lower in draw than regular bulb despite the fact that they did work at some point. I would try hooking up regular 1157 bulbs in the front even if it is only sockets with pigtails and see if they work then as a test. The fronts are 2 filament and the rear single filament so make sue to hook them up properly.

Good point. I've also seen that CCI caries an adapter that hooks up directly inline with the wiring for the turn signals. It's supposed to match teh resistance for when you put in aftermarket bulbs.

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate the help. Tonight I found out the it isn't the TSM. I now know that I have a short or pinched wire somewhere, cause I was looking at wires under the seat and then went to show one of my buddies what it was doing they happen to be working perfectly. So then I decided to take it around the block and they stopped working by the time I went 200ft to my first right turn. Also when I first turn the switch on, I get 6 quick flashed on my left turn signals. What does this mean?

Thanks for all the information on this topic. I did try to get the code but it wouldn't work. I don't know if it is because I am doing it wrong or if it is due to the fact that my right turn signals don't work. Also my battery has a charge of 12.5 volts, but yet when I go to start it first thing in the morning or after it has sat for a couple of hours, it turns then there is about a 1 second pause of nothing happening before it fully turns over. What could be causing this?

Have you had the battery load tested, how old is it?

What condition are the cables in? Do they heat up when this happens?

No I haven't had the battery load tested. But it is only about a year old if that and the cable are in great condition. I had to replace the voltage regulator last year. Could it be some sort of short from the turn signals not working that would be effecting the battery as well?

A year old battery as well as a brand new battery could be bad. I would have it load tested instead of guessing. How did you determine the cables were good?

Have you checked the battery voltage with the motor running and at different speeds yet?

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice that I received on this issue. Finally firgured out what the problems was after pretty much taking the whole wiring harness apart. It was the single wire that ran through the bolt to my right rear turn signal. The wire was rubbed bare, due to the poor work that Boars Nest did to it for the previous owner when they installed the lights. After I fixed that everything works perfect. Thanks again.

Back