free website stats program Turn signal/engine problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Turn signal/engine problem

mystryman

Got what I believe is an electrical problem that i'm kinda stumped on. To start off, I have a '98 wideglide with s&s super E carb, crane ignition, and badlands aftermarket turn signal controller with built in load equalizer. The problem I'm having is once in a while, latest being a couple of nights ago, while riding highways (never happened yet riding around town) the engine will start cutting out VERY badly and acting like its starving for fuel and at the same time the 4way flashers will come on by themselves. Can anyone point me where to start on this one? so far I found no similar posts so no idea of cause.

Like Jack, probably need to rule out over or under voltage of the system first. These issues can be difficult but a systematic approach is the only way.

It seems the power to the ignition is bleeding into the turn signal system.
Does a 1998 Wide Glide have factory hazards?????

ran the tests on the regulator and alternator, checked out ok. battery good. maybe the two problems are unrelated to eachother. just seemed a coincidence they happened together the last time. have had other occasions that flashers came on and engine running fine, and engine act up out on the road without flashers coming on. The stock '98 does have 4ways but I have an aftermarket turn controller so I can use led.

ran the tests on the regulator and alternator, checked out ok. battery good. maybe the two problems are unrelated to eachother. just seemed a coincidence they happened together the last time. have had other occasions that flashers came on and engine running fine, and engine act up out on the road without flashers coming on. The stock '98 does have 4ways but I have an aftermarket turn controller so I can use led.

1. Does engine seems to lack performance with the cycling of turn signals when the 2 happen together.
2. How to you have turn controller installed?
I may be way over thinking but do not the running lights on front come on when ignition is turned on with headlight?
If so I refer to previous post that maybe you have a current issue that is feeding turn signals and bleeding off ignition.

1. Does engine seems to lack performance with the cycling of turn signals when the 2 happen together.
2. How to you have turn controller installed?
I may be way over thinking but do not the running lights on front come on when ignition is turned on with headlight?
If so I refer to previous post that maybe you have a current issue that is feeding turn signals and bleeding off ignition.

The only times I've had the engine prob was when travelling at highway speeds (60+). I would have to slow down and after a few mins, she would come back to life, so to speak. Could ride around town all day long no prob. had tried cycling the signals and 4way while riding and no impact.

The controller is installed in place of original. never had running lights as long as I have owned the bike, might not be in the controller design.

I've had the bike almost 10 yrs and the issues have developed this summer.

I had replaced the ignition last yr because it had given out and only firing one cylinder.

determined engine and 4ways issues were unrelated. got another engine issue i'm putting in another post.

Back