free website stats program Turn Signal/Emergency Flasher Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Turn Signal/Emergency Flasher Problem

Swami2

Turn signals on my 2002 Harley FLTRI are acting crazy. When I push turn signal, flashers come on, then When I turn them off and push right turn, left turn comes on. When i turn that off and push again flashers may come on again. Don't know if it's the flasher module or turn signal module. It does have a factory security system.

What's the last thing you did to the bike? Ride in the rain or wash it?

Give us more info to go on. Modifications? Any load equalizers? Different lighting?

I'm gonna try to follow this one all the way to problem solved. The last time we had something like this I 'believe' it came out either a switch gone bad or shorted wire, but never got the last report on it.

My money is on the TSM unless some wrong bulbs were installed

What's the last thing you did to the bike? Ride in the rain or wash it?

Give us more info to go on. Modifications? Any load equalizers? Different lighting?
Did nothing different, Went for a ride, rode about twenty miles, stopped for lunch, and when I took off again, went to put turn signal on and four way flashers came on. It has been acting up ever since. Never had an inkling anything was wrong til then.

You may want to try this. With the key off, disconnect the TSM/TSSM connector (30A-30B). This is the wiring harness connector right at the TSSM. Look at the 12 pin wiring harness connector. Pin #1 should be a Brown/Gray wire. Pin #12 should be a solid Black wire.

Turn on the ignition and with your Fluke meter on the 20 volt DC scale measure the voltage at Pin #7 (white/brown) to frame ground. Now measure the voltage from Pin #8 (white/violet) to frame ground. In Both cases you should read Zero volts. If you read something other than 0.00 volts, you have leakage from 1 or both handlebar switches that must be corrected.
I have never tested what the TSSM system will tolerate in switch leakage but I would not accept anything other than 0.00 volts. In all fairness it probably will tolerate .25 volts but by all rights it really should be 0.00.

Now if you see something like 2.5 volts you nailed the problem. (When you push a turn signal button, the voltage should go to 12volts. Right side is pin#7 & Left side is Pin#8)

Remember that since you will be turning on the ignition with the TSSM disconnected, you may now generate a DTC when you hook everything back up. On the late model bikes (post 2007), this would be no problem because it's easy to erase codes. I think on 2002 bikes it's not as easy to erase codes. I just can't say what is involved to erase the code that may be generated. It is a code that is erroneous and the 2002's may not even have a code for this type of error. I just don't know or can't say.

He's probably busy and hasn't had a chance to try this. Would like to see what it was though, seems we had a thread similar to this awhile back and I never did see how it ended.

After some exhausting investigation , I found some of the wiring had been Rubbing against a headlight screw under the fairing, wearing the insulation off, shorting out the turn signals, and causing them to do crazy things. Thanks to all who responded. Everything is working fine now.

After some exhausting investigation , I found some of the wiring had been Rubbing against a headlight screw under the fairing, wearing the insulation off, shorting out the turn signals, and causing them to do crazy things. Thanks to all who responded. Everything is working fine now.

Thanks so much for the update. This is the second documented occurrance of these flasher symptoms being tracked down and caused by a shorted wire. This occurance and one other on another forum. We also had these symtoms reported on this forum sometime back but either there was never an update or I missed it.

I can see how the switch could cause this condition to occur also, but so far it has been a bad ground both times, with the exception that a local guy told me his had those same symptoms and he took it to the dealer and they told him they replaced the switch.

Hoople do remember the thread awhile back on HDT where this happened. What was the final come out on that one ?

remember the thread awhile back on HDT where this happened. What was the final come out on that one ?

I remember a recent similar thread to this. => Left Blinker comes on by itself?? o8 St Glde - Harley Davidson Community The OP did not respond with what the outcome was.

As far as today's thread is concerned, unless you know which wire(s) colors were cut (the insulation cut through) you can not reverse engineer and understand the failure to any degree. It could have been the drive line wires from the TSM,,,just don't know. As far as I know, the TSM has "crowbar circuit" protection against dead shorts on the output lines. It would be a bad move on the MOCO not to have that built into the TSM.

There are too many possibilities. Can't come to any conclusions without actually knowing which wires were at fault.

Back