free website stats program Turn Signal battle...still..engine light flashing | Harley Davidson Forums

Turn Signal battle...still..engine light flashing

olskool

1997 RK...turn signals work perfectly with the bike cool sitting in the garage..and when going down the highway they seem to work most of the time...but after a run down the highway, switching to city driving...nothing...they may flash once or not come on at all??? it did this twice yesterday.

I have checked/cleaned grounds and wiring...Do you smart guys think maybe the turn signal module may be getting hot....?

I have also changed the speed sensor.

I also noticed after trying to get codes...the engine light just flashes rapidly...doesn't pause or anything??

gremlins...gotta love them...good thing I enjoy working on my bike!!

My 97 FLHT did the same thing it was a bad module

May want to use a hair dryer or heat gun and gently raise the temperature of the TSM module. Also check the wiring at the bars and under the seat is not pinched...could be just your weight on the saddle AND rise in temperature can expose cut insulation and short to metal brackets, pass thrus and such, and be related to the handlebar position as you are moving the steering and flexing harness as well as engine temperature rising.

If you heat the module up with a hair dryer and you have a fail to cool it down again use canned air sold in computer shops as spray duster and the air comes out very cold can be used to quickly cool components for this type of checking

Brian

Before going through to much effort on this, get the module loose so you can take a good look at it all the way around. Does it look heat damaged? If so, that is enough indication that you should replace it.

TQ

TQ brings a good point, always use at least 2 symptoms or more before replacing any part. Visual inspection is key, then electrical powered and unpowered test and finally environmental. mechanical tapping, flexing wiring harness nearby and such. It just works out that you will change out less parts trying to "shotgun" the problem or have a separate "bucket" of good new parts unused...

good news..rechecked wiring and found a broken ground wire, right where the harness clamp is by the neck.

i went ahead and replaced the TSM...it was cracked and swelling (age)
after I found it! :cheers

Good find, like I said previously that inspection is your best tool, less invasive and maximizes your observation skills. Wiring harnesses and hold down methods are a problem area where ever they pass thru clamps or metal "passages" to keep them hidden. Also areas prone to pulling near the mechanical steering head and handle bar areas, as well as near connectors, be they under the seat, tank tunnel or under rear fender holddown strip near the rear tire. How much was the TSM for your year/model bike?

Back