free website stats program Turn Indicators stay on, What's up w/ that? | Harley Davidson Forums

Turn Indicators stay on, What's up w/ that?

RoadRunnin

Aloha All,
I’m a complete idiot when it comes to electrical stuff, but I slog through it and rely on folks like you to help me with the tough stuff, so I hope someone has some idea what’s going on here.
I put on some led signals recently and installed a Badlands load equalizer to get them working right. They did and all was good with my world. Then I decided to install a strip of leds underneath my saddle bags. I wired the hot side from the signal wires (brown Right/ violet Left) and wired the ground to the frame. I just expected them to light up when I turned on my signals, but to my surprise they came on as running lights and also blinked as signals. That was even better!
So what's the problem, you say? My problem is with the turn indicators on the dash they stay on all the time and blink a little brighter when I turn on my signals. You can see the difference in intensity fine at night, but it is almost impossible to see during the daylight hours. Any clue how I can fix this?
Mahalo,
Roadrunnin

Aloha All,
I’m a complete idiot when it comes to electrical stuff, but I slog through it and rely on folks like you to help me with the tough stuff, so I hope someone has some idea what’s going on here.
I put on some led signals recently and installed a Badlands load equalizer to get them working right. They did and all was good with my world. Then I decided to install a strip of leds underneath my saddle bags. I wired the hot side from the signal wires (brown Right/ violet Left) and wired the ground to the frame. I just expected them to light up when I turned on my signals, but to my surprise they came on as running lights and also blinked as signals. That was even better!
So what's the problem, you say? My problem is with the turn indicators on the dash they stay on all the time and blink a little brighter when I turn on my signals. You can see the difference in intensity fine at night, but it is almost impossible to see during the daylight hours. Any clue how I can fix this?
Mahalo,
Roadrunnin

Is it possible a upgraded equalizer is needed for the extra led lights? This may be causing a feed back to the indicator lights? Contact Badlands for info I bet the tech dept will have an answer Badlands Motorcycle Products

I don't know your specific specific situation without a specific wiring diagram. However, most automotive lighting is controlled by low-side switching. What that means is that power is always supplied on the high side, and control is provided by switching the low side to a return, like ground. That being the case, if you tie the low side to ground, you will get constant on.

Simply put: most lighting control is done by switching the low side, or ground. Check your wiring diagram to see what you have.

Good luck,
Rich P

My buddy just had a similar problem, turned out his load equalizer was burned out. If you had to install one when you upgraded to LED's you might want to check that.

Back