free website stats program Tuning Settings Crane Hi-4TC - detonation | Harley Davidson Forums

Tuning Settings Crane Hi-4TC - detonation

FatBP

Wondering if someone would be able to help me out with a detonation problem. Just put a 103" kit in a 2000 FLSTF. It had major detonation issues after the build and dealer recommended the Crane Hi-4TC so they could adjust it out. Bike has great seat of the pants power but it still pings when running at highway speeds in 5th gear and giving it 1/2 throttle or more (like when you want to pass). No problems at idle or lower RPM's only at higher RPM's and giving it 1/2 throttle or more and then only when you give it throttle from a steady speed like 70 MPH. If you are getting on it and rowing through all the gears it doesn't have a problem.

Anybody have any suggestions on what I could do to the settings to get rid of it? I'm already running 91 octane and these are the current settings:
Mode 0
Rear Cyl 0
Initial 0
Advance 1

I was thinking about taking the advance down to 0 and see what happens. It doesn't have a problem at lower RPM's and idle so I was thinking only going lower with the initial if moving the advance to 0 doesn't fix anything? I've had it back to the dealer twice and they say they can't get it to ping when they ride it so they can't make any adjustments.

Upload the instructions or supply a link where they can be viewed. Unless you can do that, your limiting your replies only from people who actually have & use the ignition. I don't use the ignition but with the setup instructions, it should not be problem.

Upload the instructions or supply a link where they can be viewed. Unless you can do that, your limiting your replies only from people who actually have & use the ignition. I don't use the ignition but with the setup instructions, it should not be problem.

http://cranecams.com/pdf/90003150.pdf

TQ

I was thinking about taking the advance down to 0 and see what happens. It doesn't have a problem at lower RPM's and idle so I was thinking only going lower with the initial if moving the advance to 0 doesn't fix anything? I've had it back to the dealer twice and they say they can't get it to ping when they ride it so they can't make any adjustments.

You have done full Stage 1 too, right?

Do the intake leak test just to make sure. It might not show up well when running until you really tweak the throttle and get some serious vacuum going. But with an external combustible that does not burn that well, may show up at idle. See here:

Finding An Intake Leak - Harley Davidson Community

Ruling that out, then by all means, play with the settings on the module. You might try calling Crane and talk to Tech Serv to see what they suggest setting up as starting points given your configuration.

TQ

Last edited:
TQ, Can he also be using the 8-3160? Just wondering because it says the 8-3160 fits 1999-2001.

Other than CMP (cam shaft) sensor input, do you see any difference?

TQ, Can he also be using the 8-3160? Just wondering because it says the 8-3160 fits 1999-2001.

Other than CMP (cam shaft) sensor input, do you see any difference?

Hoop,

Where do your see that? I can't find it.

But looking at the catalog, he might have the 8-3180 since he only wrote about four settings in his email above. The 8-3170 seems to have more adjustment than that. But the 8-3180 is supposed to be for '04-'06 TCs!!

TQ

Last edited:
Wondering if someone would be able to help me out with a detonation problem.
Mode 0
Rear Cyl 0
Initial 0
Advance 1

I had to use -4* on a unit I had in my 2000 FXDS.. to get it to run GOOD.
The 1 or 0 advance May be way too much and you MAY need to retard YOUR Unit until the engine runs Properly like I did . Start at -2*.... Don't feel that you have to use the word "Advance" for your HOT motor.... You probably have a Lot of compression(????) What are the Static numbers???

Mine were at 215/19 and needed all that retard to Quit detonation.... Even 95 octane and years ago with ? better gas the ping was there...

On trips out and away from home area, I would mix a 40/1 or higher ratio either kerosene or Diesel into my gas to allow for no rattle-ping. Worked good.

Try your Retard then get back and let us know.

signed....BUBBIE

TQ,, CraneCams

Look under ignition. It has both the XXX50 & XXX60.

My take on it is, if FatBP is running the 8-3160, then he already is running a very modest Advance slope with the settings he has listed (0,0,0,1). He needs to collect some information if he really wants to fix a problem such as his.

FatBP,,
It sounds like you have too much spark advance for the intake manifold value the knock is taking place at. Remember you are Not just dealing with a spark advance number @ a specfic RPM. Your dealing with the degree of spark advance at BOTH a specific RPM and a value of manifold vacuum level or engine Load.

Under high load demands (heavy throttle in a tall gear) manifold vacuum is low and the spark advance must be kicked back. On the Crane model you have (8-3150/8-3160), you can change each advance amount independently (Mode #3), but it requires re-programming of the Crane unit using their Power-Link software, cables & a laptop.

Before you do anything, first collect some information in order to get an understanding with what your dealing with. Remove both plugs/ tie back the throttle to WOT and perform a compression test with a quality compression gauge. See what your cranking compression is in PSI. Get those numbers. Now fill the bike with the highest octane fuel you can get (maybe even add some boost). Run advance slope "Zero". Also kick back "Rear Cylinder Timing offset" to -4. Now try the bike. The bike may run weak. We are NOT concerned how good the bike runs. Our ONLY concerned is if you still can hear engine knock.

Get the compression number. Set your module to the new settings. Lift the octane of the fuel and test the bike.

Do you still hear engine knock under the SAME running conditions as before.?

Bubbie,,, Sorry for the duplication on information. I was typing while you posted and did not see yours first.

Last edited by a moderator:
TQ, I think the far two pots control the Rev Limiter. That would make it the (4) plus 2 rev limiter with a total of 6 pots. (I think?)

Hoop

Yep full stage 1 as well (everything that comes with the 103" kit from HD). I basically did the 103" because the 88" went down due to the old cam bearing failure problem and they found that the crank was binding at one spot as well when they got into it. Figured I mys well go with the 103" if I had to get a new crank anyway. Cams are 203's.

I have two more settings for the rev limiter. I just didn't put them in. 6400 sounds right if I remember.

I'll try the intake leak test. I don't have a compression gauge but I'll see if I can get hold of one to check it.

I also don't have a laptop or the software but I guess if it comes down to it I can scrape up the stuff to go that route as well.

In the meantime I'll try to set the advance down to 0. If that doesn't work I'll start retarding the initial. (Question on that - if the initial was advanced too much wouldn't it ping at low RPM's as well?)

Carbs and timing are definitely not my strong point.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Back