free website stats program Tuners and Updates? | Harley Davidson Forums

Tuners and Updates?

joel

I've been told that EPA is sticking their fingers in the pot and that updated maps will be limited or no longer available to sell.
I have been considering doing cams and a tuner , undecided on this, but if I can't get proper mapping for a tuner then why try.
Most info on tuners here is old , so looking for current content on them.

A person that works for a well known aftermarket mcy. company posted on the WWW that the company has gotten an official notice from govt. stating restrictions and fines will be enforced. As I'm over the performance era of my motorcycling life, I didn't read all of the details. Once again, I believe us baby boomers grew up in (mostly) the best of times.

Like everything else i'm sure these companies that make tuners will find a workaround to anything the EPA throws at them. The talk about the EPA's meddling into this has been out there for a long time and is more likely just bluster. JMHO.

Forget about "maps"; they are a poor excuse for a tuner. Select one of the flash tuners available like the Power Vision or TTS Mastertune or even the Thundermax and get the bike on the dyno for a proper tune. Even a stock motor, which comes from the factory in a detuned and very lean state will benefit from a proper dyno tune; better performance and the motor will run cooler.;)

The epa already fined harley for selling the screaming eagle race tuners and they had to remove them from the shelf. Now the Harley tuner for sale is locked and the fuel air ratio can not be altered. I am betting that the epa will go after the aftermarket tuner industry and require them to stop selling programmable tuners so there tuners will now be locked in the future. Just my opinion. I will also bet that they will soon go after the aftermarket exhaust companies and mandate that they no longer sell non catalytic systems. If you want to envision the the future just look at commifornia and their CARB requirements. JMHO.

Does the auto tune feature do a reasonable good tune if only upgrading the cams?
I am on the fence on doing anything but replacing the lifters and cam bearings do to mileage, 22,000 area.

If you are going to do a cam swap, then you should also install a high flow intake and replace the stock headers to get rid of the catalytic converter. Your best bet is to contact fuel Moto and talk to them. They can load a map into the tuner with the info you provide them.

I don't agree with Frenchie that the EPA will take on the motorcyle and automotive performance aftermarket; specifically progammable tuners and hi-flow intake/exhaust systems. I don't see how the EPA can stop a companay from selling a product; that would be like the ATF telling Colt, Ruger, Winchester, etc; they couldn't sell firearms. If the EPA can tell Thundermax that can no longer sell their tuner? If the EPA could do that what's to stop them from telling Thundemax they cannot sell their suspendion systems?

There has been talk about the EPA bringing the hammer down on on the aftermarket intake and exhausts for many years with no effect. Some states have implemented "sniffer" tests that must be passed for a state inspection which is a "back door" wasy for the EPA to go after these performance partds but there are plenty of states that have not.

Also JMHO but the motorcyle and automotive performance aftermarket is so big that if the EPA went down that road, there would probably be class action lawsuits brought agains the EPA and the final decision could work its way to SCOTUS and the EPA would lose. Or, like Jack points out, the aftermarket will find ways to outsmart the EPA. Of coure, Frenchie has his opinion and I have mine; I guess time will tell.;)

Last edited:
Does the auto tune feature do a reasonable good tune if only upgrading the cams?
I am on the fence on doing anything but replacing the lifters and cam bearings do to mileage, 22,000 area.

I agree with Frenchie that intake and exhaust should be upgraded before or at the same time as upgrading cams. Thats why intake and exhuast upgrades are Stage 1 and adding cams to the mix is Stage II. JMHO but an "auto tune" feature, even Fuel Moto, as competent as they are, cannot design a map that will perform on the same level as a dyno tune. If planning to rely on an auto tune, the Thundermax is probably the best system to go that route.

If I were Joel I would take a steo back, upgrade intake an exhaust to Stage 1 find a tuner that sells Power Vision licences (most due these days) get the Stage I set up dyno tuned; there will be a noticeable, butt dyno result from a Stage I uprade with a proper dynot tune. Then, when the new wears off, upgrade cams, lifters and inner cam bearings and return to the tuner for an upgraded cyno tune. At 22K miles, unless the lifters are making noise, replacing liftes and inner cam bearrings is not a pressing issue.

JMHO but that's the right way to do it.;)

I agree with Frenchie that intake and exhaust should be upgraded before or at the same time as upgrading cams. Thats why intake and exhuast upgrades are Stage 1 and adding cams to the mix is Stage II. JMHO but an "auto tune" feature, even Fuel Moto, as competent as they are, cannot design a map that will perform on the same level as a dyno tune. If planning to rely on an auto tune, the Thundermax is probably the best system to go that route.

If I were Joel I would take a steo back, upgrade intake an exhaust to Stage 1 find a tuner that sells Power Vision licences (most due these days) get the Stage I set up dyno tuned; there will be a noticeable, butt dyno result from a Stage I uprade with a proper dynot tune. Then, when the new wears off, upgrade cams, lifters and inner cam bearings and return to the tuner for an upgraded cyno tune. At 22K miles, unless the lifters are making noise, replacing liftes and inner cam bearrings is not a pressing issue.

JMHO but that's the right way to do it.;)
This place really needs modernization.

Back