free website stats program Tubeless Wheel Valve Stem | Harley Davidson Forums

Tubeless Wheel Valve Stem

PetieJ

When installing new valve stems into new Harley wheels, how in the heck does one tighten the nut on the stem? There is not enough clearance to use a socket or wrench in the wheel recess, where the stem is located. I can see using a small screwdriver to sort of wedge between a flat on the nut and the side of the recess on the wheel to hold the nut and then turning the stem end on the inside of the wheel. This just doesn't make since. Why not make the wheel so that you could use a socket on the nut. Manual calls for at least 15 ft/lbs torque to secure the stem nut. May have to measure this with my torque channel locks.:s
Just curious how everyone else locks this nut down.

Are the stems Harley specific or general application????????? I think you would not be able to or how would you know the proper torque by holding the nut and turning the stem???????????

dbmg, it is the Harley "Thunderstar" wheel and using the Harley wheel bearing kit which comes with bearings and valve stems.

When installing new valve stems into new Harley wheels, how in the heck does one tighten the nut on the stem?

I just did this a few weeks ago installing an Elite 3 on my rear wheel. I just used a pair of needle nose pliers and tightened as tight as I could. I did use some locktite on the threads too. No sweat!

when i put the magnum 5 on mine i took an old deep well socket over to the bench grinder and made a thin wall socket out of it. worked great.

Good idea, PA 58. I might add that that valve stem nut is not one that needs to be super tight. You're just compressing the rubber washer down on the rim. I think some locktite is smart to keep the nut in place.

I just did this a few weeks ago installing an Elite 3 on my rear wheel. I just used a pair of needle nose pliers and tightened as tight as I could. I did use some locktite on the threads too. No sweat!

PLIERS??? Man, that's BLASPHEMY in the oldschool world! Truly, I have ground wrenches, bent wrenches, skinny sockets, and all manner of remodded tools in my special HogToolz drawer to keep scratching of the chrome or my skin to a minimum.
I'd like to add that one very mysterious slow air loss got sudden one run- had to hit a gas station, make the day and then soak my world in window cleaner when I got home.
What was leaking all along?
Loose nut on the stem. When we TCLOCK, do we EVER check them, EVER? Got me.

Quad, the OP was having difficulty fitting a wrench or a socket in the tight area around the valve stem nut. Using a pair of needle nose pliers tightens the nut without scratching anything and loctite will keep the nut from loosening.

Back