free website stats program Tube Failure | Harley Davidson Forums

Tube Failure

HarryB737

Jumped on the bike tonight to go get some supper (Wife out of town) Went to back the bike out of the garage & it was like pushing it in a sand pile...Not good... Looked down & rear tire was completely Flat. Put the bike on the lift to see where the screw,nail,metal, what ever was in the tire & nothing... Tire looks great. Pumped it up & the air was leaving almost as fast as I put it in. Checked with soap bubbles & rapid air was coming from around spokes & Valve stem at the rim. It must have been a major failure internally. I had just riden last night to check out the new windshield & voltage gauge,... That part was great. Came home and all was good when I tucked her in last night.
I THANKFUL that failure didn't happen going down the road.

The good part is w/ alittle over 7K miles on the tires I will get those Michelins a bit sooner... :D at least the rear.

If you have spokes Im thinking it tubed?If so it may be worth watching the dismount.Could be they pintched the tube from the factory (youll see the marks on the tube), then its a warenty issue.

Why spend money you dont have to.

Now that's one thing I'm for sure good at trouble shooting a tube. Glad it happened at home for you.

If you have spokes Im thinking it tubed?If so it may be worth watching the dismount.Could be they pintched the tube from the factory (youll see the marks on the tube), then its a warenty issue.

Why spend money you dont have to.

Thanks WYW, I'm going to call my Dealer today, but still may take them the Wheel myself for them to dismount & check out. I'm thinking warranty too, but if they do it'll probably only be the cost of the tube, and maybe mounting tire & tube. We'll see.

Thanks WYW, I'm going to call my Dealer today, but still may take them the Wheel myself for them to dismount & check out. I'm thinking warranty too, but if they do it'll probably only be the cost of the tube, and maybe mounting tire & tube. We'll see.

When the tire and strip is off the rim, check the whole circumference carefully. There may be a burr on a spoke nipple, or a spoke protruding a tiny bit, or a burr somewhere on the rim. It doesn't take much to slowly wear a hole in the tube, and you want this to be the last time it happens. If you can match the hole in the tube to the position it was mounted, it will make it easier.

Great point, Thanks "Breeze". Called Dealer (Head Mech) He said they've not heard of a failure in tube like that, but they will certainly check it closely when I bring them the wheel, and if that is the case they will cover under warranty.... He thinks I've overlooked something piercing the tire.... Why do I feel Scepticle??? :newsmile030:

Sometimes with tubed tires the item that caused puncture falls out as tire deflates. Then when refilling air comes out around valve stem. Glad it completely failed sitting in the garage.

Back