free website stats program TSM Password Learn Issues | Harley Davidson Forums

TSM Password Learn Issues

Troy C

Bike is 04 Ultra Classic. While riding I starting getting “bus Er and security key light” coming on but bike would crank and run without any issues that I could tell. I tried getting the codes from speedo but the bus Er code keeps it from going into the diagnostic screen. I checked all connections, fuses, switches and even pulled the battery. I couldn’t get it to clear or reset. I figured the TSSM was the issue and decided to replace it with an OEM TSM. I printed out the instructions for the password learn procedure and the first thing it says to do is
Set run switch to run
Turn ign switch on-off, on-off, on-off, on then toggle left turn signal twice
Turn ign switch off-on and verify check eng light and security light come on briefly then turn off

That’s where I’m getting hung up. The lights are not coming on at this point, just the bus Er code still showing up.
The next step is to crank the bike, which it does and shuts off, which is expected, then the check eng light comes on and few seconds later the security light lights up. Which is to happen according to the instructions. It then tells me to leave it on for 10 minutes and when security light goes off, turn ign switch off-on and security light again comes on, wait another 10 minutes ...... etc.
Security light don’t go off. I even tried the procedure several more times turning it off-on just to try and security light doesn’t come back on after the initial time.
I purchased an online manual and found the procedure and it does not say to toggle switch and turn signal switch. Have I gotten it into some setup mode that’s keeping me from completing the TSM setup?
I’m about to pull my hair out over this one, please help.
Thanks

Are your instructions the same as these? http://www.harley-performance.com/support-files/password.pdf
Also try pulling the master fuse (big yellow one). For pin #change and starts, the bike must be on the jiffy stand and no movement at all while processing.
That are the instructions that I tried from the beginning but the manual that I’ve got doesn’t haven’t the first step. I’ve been trying from the center stand though.

That are the instructions that I tried from the beginning but the manual that I’ve got doesn’t haven’t the first step. I’ve been trying from the center stand though.
I have pulled the main fuse as well.
I just tried the procedure with bike on jiffy stand and still not working.
I toggle the ign switch on-off three times then to on and press left turn signal twice and wait for ign and security light and neither one will come on. If I continue and crank it, it shuts down after a second and then both lights come on but the security light don’t go off, even well after ten minuets have passed.

I'm stumped, but will continue to think about it.
I messed with it some more this morning and just to try, I turned handlebar full left but still no luck. Here’s what it is doing though. When I turn on ign, either cycling on-off the three times or just once, whe mileage is showing until the pump is primed then bus Er pops up as soon as the pump quits.
I’m not getting the check eng or key light to come on then off before I crank it. After I crank it and it dies, the check engine light comes on and stays on.
So frustrating!

When I changed my password,it took a few tries.It's a little different on newer bikes.But,if I waited and did all steps too thoroughly,it didn't work.When I raced thru it,it worked.Plus,I had it on speedo,and you need odometer to make the changes.

Here is another table I found. There is some slight difference, but I can't get enough peace and quiet to sort it out. Maybe you can.
index.php

Here is another table I found. There is some slight difference, but I can't get enough peace and quiet to sort it out. Maybe you can.
index.php
I’ve decided to load it up and take it to HD and let them pair it up with the computer.
Funny thing is, when we loaded it up on the trailer I flipped the ign switch and no bus Er code was s showing up now. I’m too frustrated to unload it and try it more. I was finally able to clear all of the codes out.
Thanks for the extra effort in trying to help.

Back