free website stats program Truck Lite Phase 7 LED headlight problems. | Harley Davidson Forums

Truck Lite Phase 7 LED headlight problems.

greenback82

I have a 2008 Ultra Classic. Installed a Truck Lite Phase 7 LED headlight.
The switch is on low beam.
The problem I'm having is the bulb will go from low beam to high beam. Sometime is flashes low to high looks like a strobe light. Sometimes it just gets stuck on high.
The high beam indicator light will be dim then go to bright.
When it does go to high beam the spot light will go out.
This is the second bulb I have tried. The first one did the same thing.
The stock bulb works just fine.
I have tighten the connectors to the light.
Called Truck Lite they was no help. They have no tech support for motorcycles. The bulb just happens to fit they said.
Any body else run into this problem.

Can you reproduce what causes it to go from low to high? Like turning the handlebar, revving the motor, hit a bump? Does it so it by itself sitting with the light on and the motor off? If you can reproduce it, I would put a multimeter on the plugs high beam lug and see if I could get 12Vdc to it. If you can than its the bike if not its the light. How old is the light? Keep us posted as potential buyers may be interested, I'm sure.

You could always disconnect the high beam wire for the time being and see if it does it then. Still wouldn't prove the bulb bad. You could still have rubbed wires.......

The fact that you state the O.E. bulb works just fine would indicate that the motorcycle is not at fault. Personally once before I had a bright white bulb installed in my older bike. That bulb needed so much power to operate it actually melted connector on bulb and caused bike to quit running from plug shorting out. I would bet that a diode of some sort with the LED is over heating and causing havoc. As you stated the high beam indicator goes dim then high beam comes on by itself with the switch on low beam, would have me believe that you harness is being compromised and removing the aftermarket bulb might be a good thing before there is any more damage to bike.

The light will flash just sitting in the garage, motor not running. Turning the bars, shaking the light outside the bucket doesn't make a difference.
Did contact Kuryakyn they said they have never heard of such a problem. (My Luck)
Not giving up yet.

If you take it out of the bucket and measure voltage at the pins while its flashing to see if you are getting voltage on the high and low pins or alternating between the two. If no voltage on the high, its the light.

Back