free website stats program Troubleshooting a headlight | Harley Davidson Forums

Troubleshooting a headlight

Nuclear

My headlight seems to have an issue that I have been putting off looking at while I get more familiar with the bike. When at an idle, the light seems pretty strong, but fluctuates slightly, and when I give the bike a little throttle, it dims considerably.

I nosed around in there looking for any obvious loose connections, and also checked the battery connections, but everything seems o.k. there. Would replacing the sealed beam bulb be a good place to start troubleshooting, or does this sound like more of a problem with the rectifier-regulator?

I'm going to dig into it tomorrow, but if any of you have any insight or experience with this problem I'd appreciate any input!

I think you may be best to start by checking the voltage under these conditions, then follow the troubleshooting steps for checking the charging system.
Bet that tells you where your problem is.

Like stated above, I would start with checking the output on the charging system at different RPM's.

Glider & GS34 have you covered, check voltages and use HD service manual or simplified schematic attached to help you trace things out. No voltage at low throttle openings could mean a bad cell in your battery to bad connection in the battery/charging system primary wiring. See attached...

Wiringdiag.jpg

Back