free website stats program Troubles to watch for? | Harley Davidson Forums

Troubles to watch for?

MiPirate

I have a 99 Ultra and someone told me that when they get about 50k on them they have a problem with the motor. Some type of nylon guide inside.
Anyone know of any type of problem and if so what needs to be done and an idea on the cost?

on the twin cams you can have the timing chain tensioners break and send the nylon though the motor take out the oil pump and a lot of other expensive parts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong....A 1999 FLHTCU should not have a TC88 motor. They started in the FLH line-up in 2000-2001.

You have no cam chain tensioners to stress over.

I believe that was the first year for the TC in baggers in 99, the softails and others came later.

When I boight my 2000 FLHT the salesman said it was the 1st year for TC88, but he was not the sharpest tool in the shed !! I installed S&S gear drive at 24k miles. Pricey but a clean install, very easy.

Twin Cam 88 were first installed on Touring models and Dyna's in 1999. Softails did not get the TC motor until 2000. So a 1999 Ultra will have cam tensioner which should be inspected.

The '99 FLHTCU does have the TC 88 motor. My '99 Ultra has 72,000 on the odometer. I did a roller chain conversion about 2000 miles ago. The primary tensioner was toast and the secondary (inner) tensioner was about 50%. Before the conversion, after warmup, oil pressure was about 10 to 15 lbs. After the conversion, I run 30 lbs+ all day long.

It is important to have the tensioners checked. If they are worn, or, if you experience tensioner "flakes" in the oil, or if your oil pressure drops after the engine gets warm, you need to have this addressed. While the tensioners are being done, the inner cam bearings should also be changed to the Torrington units.

Member "TQ" of this forum, did a great writeup of the whole process including some great pictures. Check it out....

Back