free website stats program Trouble Starting!! 03 Road King Classic | Harley Davidson Forums

Trouble Starting!! 03 Road King Classic

codyf94

I have a 2003 Road King Classic fuel injected and I am having trouble getting it started. I've asked some friends that own different models and haven't gotten a solid answer. When I try to start it, it will roll over slow but then stop and all I hear is the starter spinning. (The battery is fully charged.) But other times it starts right up like normal. I've been told it might be the compensator sprocket but I have no idea how many teeth mine has and I also dont know if thats whats wrong. I know I need to replace my cam tensioners but I have been told that doesn't affect starting. HELP!!!

If I was a betting man, I would load test the battery at the local auto zone. I'm thinking you'll find its time for a new one. She's sounding just like mine did. Barely turned over at times. It was charged but just didn't have the oomph. Battery was 4 years old. New one in, cranks right up.

You can inspect those tensioners pretty easy. That's something you don't want to wait to check. Once they are gone, it gets pretty ugly. There's a ton of reading about that on here.

Someone will chime in with much more info. Good luck.

I'm with AH on this. Have the battery load tested.

Get those tensioners fixed before you have a severe problem. Just sayin.....

Back