free website stats program Trouble from neutral to 1st | Harley Davidson Forums

Trouble from neutral to 1st

I have a 97 superglide with stage one only modifications. I am starting to have trouble getting it to go into 1st gear. Clutch adjustment is spot on. Shifter and linkage have no problem or excessive play. When I go from neutral to 1st gear I get 2 seconds of light grinding noise and then clunk into gear. From 2nd to 1st it goes right in. Any help would be appreciated as I am about to disassemble and remove the tranny. Sincerely, Aaron

Hey Chopper,

I`m having the same difficulties, but after a handlebar change, Clutch pack is properly adjusted as is the clutch cable adjustment. The only thing I could think off was that the clutch cable was too long and bend too much since I came from a ape hanger so I ordered a shorter clutch cable. Now that I came across this post I am interested in what you mean by shifter pawl. Sorry for the newbie question but I am still learning every day!!

Thanks in advance,

its explained in your manual,put trans in 3rd,make sure shifter pawl has equil movement either way.there a ecentric screw right next to where shift shaft comes out to adjust it

Hey ProDrag,

I've ordered my service manual somewhere last week, still waiting for it. In the mean time I'll continue to browse the forum ;)

Take care,

its explained in your manual,put trans in 3rd,make sure shifter pawl has equil movement either way.there a ecentric screw right next to where shift shaft comes out to adjust it

BEING first gear seams to be on the SHORT SIDE and may NEED the MORE THROW ,,,,, TAKE that into consideration on WHAT SIDE OF THE ADJUSTMENT TO STAY......
JUST my 2 cents worth..

not having it apart in-front of me,,,, I stayed a little on the side adjustment that ALLOWED a LITTLE more adjustment in the shift (down) INTO than OUT OF..... may help on this particular problem...

BUT I THINK THE GRINDING IS THE CLUTCH TURNING AS IT WILL SHIFT FINE FROM 2ond TO 1st with out a problem...

I have found that on MY older bike (my 97 dyna) i needed a FULL throw of the clutch lever(proper clutch basket adjusted) and when i put on the leather DANGLERS on clutch lever,,, IT WAS enough to give me problems.... THEN again LATER the cable was WORN OUT ENOUGH to do the same thing........

JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for the info guys. I picked up a manual today and I'm going to follow it to the letter. I do appreciate the help! A manual is good but real world experence is a value also.

Hey Chopper,

I`m having the same difficulties, but after a handlebar change, Clutch pack is properly adjusted as is the clutch cable adjustment. The only thing I could think off was that the clutch cable was too long and bend too much since I came from a ape hanger so I ordered a shorter clutch cable. Now that I came across this post I am interested in what you mean by shifter pawl. Sorry for the newbie question but I am still learning every day!!

Thanks in advance,
You don't have to worry about it with a 06 Safehaven, Harley stopped using a shifter pawl adjuster on the 5 speeds in 99 or 2000, I can't remember, now they just use a Centering Pin were the adjuster use to be.

You don't have to worry about it with a 06 Safehaven, Harley stopped using a shifter pawl adjuster on the 5 speeds in 99 or 2000, I can't remember, now they just use a Centering Pin were the adjuster use to be.

Great!

Thx for the info, yet again :D, btw, the new clutch cable arrived and I'll do my best to fit it this weekend. Will post back with results early next week.

Kris

Back