free website stats program trouble cranking 2005 rk | Harley Davidson Forums

trouble cranking 2005 rk

ron1978

i recently put a new harley battery in my bike, it has been cranking just fine, i came out 2 nights ago to crank it and it just clicked like a dead battery would do, but i turned it off and back on and it fired right up no prob.
tried it again and all it would do is click again, so i check all connections on battery, there tight and clean, checked the starter ,the 2 red wires were tight aswell, the white clip that clips into the starter ( its a green wire), i un plugged it and reconnected and now it cranks right up every time?? what is the white clip and its function?? i had it in my hand and reached up with the other hand to turn key on and it sent electricity through me, not a lot but all the same ,

Ps - also when the bikes cranked the voltage on battery is showing 12.50 volts but when i rev engine it drops a little but goes back around 12.50 volts again, like its fluctuating or something? any ideas?

what is the green wire with a white clip that plugs into the starter??

i got a appoitnment with dealer for this issue, just thought i could find it first. thanks

my dealer is 2 weeks behind , it'll be 2 fridays from now before they can get to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Green wire is the solenoid coil power wire. All it does is energize the solenoid coil and pull the plunger in. Sinking of the plunger is what turns the starter motor on or makes the starter pinion turn.

so if it was not connecting good, or loose it would just click, click , click,
after i unplugged and replugged it back in it seems to crank every time now??

i tried it like 15 times and its good to go, but does the chargeing sound right?
the harder i rev the lower the volts, i can let it return to idle and it reads around 12.5 volts

yes and thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
it just clicked like a dead battery

all it would do is click again,

Define "clicking". Are you talking about a clicking sound coming from the STARTER. Or are you saying a "relay" clicking sound coming from under the seat or fuse panel.
It makes a big difference where the clicking sound is from.

so if it was not connecting good, or loose it would just click, click , click,
after i unplugged and replugged it back in it seems to crank every time now??

i tried it like 15 times and its good to go, but does the chargeing sound right?
the harder i rev the lower the volts, i can let it return to idle and it reads around 12.5 volts

Even @ idle that is too low should be around 13- 13.5, I think you got the starter fixed:s You are running on battery only now and that wont last long and can destroy your charging system, Capital Jack

Back